Cleats for Hanging Fenders

FLAggie

• 1 month later...

Our RF18 came with popup cleats on the stern quarters, and I liked them so much I installed another pair just aft of the forward bulkhead on the cockpit.  I wouldn't use those up forward for mooring in rough conditions, but they're dandy otherwise. Taylor low-profiles hang nicely from them. Kind of a no-brainer and no jerryrigging to use them along with the cleats.

Installed some extra 6" pop-up Attwood Neat-Cleats.  The center factory bow cleat was fine until the trolling motor was installed - then put cleats on each side of the bow.  I like the larger "hole-thru-middle" fenders (HTM-2) from Polyform.  Rope Slip-loops tied off the Redfisher grab-handles on the gunwale, through the fenders, to the cleats works well.  The fenders are large enough for protection at almost any type dock, and soft enough for harder bumps in choppy water.

1024181815a.jpg

27 minutes ago, BrownBear said:

You're singing my song.  That's where I put mine too,  and happy I did.

Any problem with those fenders rolling up over the gunwale and  popping out of place when the boat rocks up and down sharply against the dock?

So far they've held in place well, even when a storm came up and the boat was bobbing quite a bit.  I cinch them pretty snug against the hull, under the lip of gunwale, to stay put.  Not my idea - I saw this way of doing it when I was pulled over by a SC DNR Ranger for a safety check.  Piece of cake for the officer to tie off and raft up quickly, with the fenders already setup and laying inside the boat.

59 minutes ago, geeviam said:

...under the lip of gunwale, to stay put.

Ah, good clarification. I could see where that would work.  Up north our Rangers all use RHI's, so they're one big "fender" end to end with no issues.  Hadn't thought it through down here, so that's a good tip for me.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Take a piece of  PVC to fit inside rod holder cut it a foot or so longer drill hole for the line. When you come to the dock simply slide PVC  into the appropriate rod holder. You can adjust the position of the fender with the line.

I did the same but put cleats on the pvc polls

Archived