Maverick 18 MA fuel tank

Endangered-Species

Hello all.  I am new here.  I am looking to get involved in a little more inshore fishing.  I am in the market for a boat and I have found something I like.  The problem is the boat I like has an issue with water in the fuel. I am not sure if it is the tank.  I can not find anything referencing a fuel tank problem on an 03 Maverick.  Does anyone know if they had a problem or, if water can get into the fuel vent or something like that? Thanks in advance.

Probably not the tank itself. If the tank was compromised so that water could get in, then you would smell gasoline all the time. Like Hurricane posted; Could be old Ethanol fuel, bad O-ring on the fill cap, water in fuel from the gas station or in some cases water can enter the tank from the fuel vent. If you have a standard vent, then it's not unusual for water to enter the tank via the fuel vent, but that can be easily corrected.  

I have a 2006 Maverick and have never had a water problem with the tank.  I would suggest draining the tank and have it  cleaned. Check on how much water is in there.  Ethanol will draw water and absorb it. Never use E-10 if you have a CHOICE. In the south with  the humidity it is a sure problem if the fuel stays in the tank for a while,meaning 2-3 mos. I also never had  water enter  the fuel vent area.

It is documented in the service records (and owner stated).  Tank has been polished in the past.  the problem came back.  I didn't smell any fuel in the bilge (which I thought would be a give away).  I am wondering if it is a sitting problem (ethanol) or a vent problem or a gasket letting water in the tank,  or something similar.  I was really trying to figure out if Maverick had any fuel tank issues in 03.  I know what I know,  and what I am seeing but, forewarned is forearmed. 

I appreciate any feed back.

Good to know these things ahead of time, prolly  a few questions to ask to help. There are really only 2 or 3 major ways water can get in the gas. One is rain, so ask how it was stored, covered or uncovered and look at the filler cap o-ring.  Two, sitting how many hours are on it? See if they know how often it was used by owner. Third would be the overflow, hard to do much with that not sure if you can see it from the anchor hatch.  If the tank was bad, letting water in, than its letting fumes out.  To my knowledge the MA doesn't have any inherent fuel/water issues. 

Post a pic of the boat or PM me a pic. The group of crazy MA fans on here have seen a good amount of these boat pass by. Maybe myself or one of the other guys knows the boat. 

Archived