2500 Hybrid a year later

Tall Tails

2500 PF a year later.

After a year (and a few months) of frequent use I thought I would give a review of my 2500 Hybrid.

I got this boat in August of 2017. It’s coming due for 400 hr service. I’ve certainly put enough hours on it to give a well informed review.

There were a few issues shortly after I got it. The rear livewell with the clear lexan plate would clog constantly with debris, grass or small baitfish that were able to get through the clear plate. After contacting the forum and the factory I determined this was a known issue and many of the forum users created their own sleeve of PVC or other pipe/hose and drilled holes all around it to reduce the suction at the top of the drain pipe. After doing this I was able to stop using the clear plate altogether. It still clogs from time to time but it’s now a quick fix to remove the grass from the sleeve and get on with my day.

There was a fuel issue. I could not get the boat to take gas. The pump would stop due to back pressure from the tank. It was eventually determined that the vent nipple was welded shut when it was installed. A new vent was installed and the issue was resolved. This took many trips to the dealer and an e-mail to the factory to remedy.

The Ameratrail trailer had one issue. A misalignment of the rear axle was causing tire wear and failure. 3 tires in less than 6 months. Ameratrail made good on this and we made a 3100 mile road trip shortly after the repair with zero issues. I’m still on the same 4 tires I made that trip with back in July.

I bought and had installed a Rhodan 36 Volt trolling motor. It’s been to the shop twice under warranty. One time for a mother board issue. The other for a broken steering gear. Rhodan service was fantastic. They sent a courier to my house, picked up the motor and had it back to me inside of a week. The motor is very possibly the best option I put on the boat. Using it in "anchor" mode for hours does not drain the batteries more than 30-40%. And these are just wet cell Interstates bought at Costco. It has plenty of power to move the boat along a shoreline or against strong current in passes. 

Just today I had to do some work on both power poles. I will put up a separate post regarding this. 

Now the good stuff. Coming out of a 2003 22 V this boat is sooo much more comfortable. It eats the Pine Island chop on windy days and performs very well in the Gulf. It does not seem to draft much more than the old 22 V but I do find that I am more cautious as I really don’t want to have to try to push this beast off of a sand bar.

I fish 4 people often and the front deck is so big that I’ve had all 4 of them up there at times working an oyster bar or shoreline with room for me to wiggle in and assist.

Storage is massive and dry. There is plenty of room for my stuff and whatever my clients need to bring along for a fun day on the water.

The fish box holds ice for well over a day. Once it is cooled I can just add some ice the following day to the remaining ice. There is more than enough room in there for fish, chum, frozen bait, etc. I really don't see the need for the macerator pump but I run it a little each time I clean the box to keep in working. 

The live well, once modifications were made to the drainpipe, is large enough to keep 4 people in bait and live chum for a good days fishing. I do wish there was an option for a full height leaning post live well but I didn't want to lose out on the comfy seat for the optional small leaning post live well offered. 

The LeBrock seat is fantastic! Comfortable and the flip up feature makes for plenty of room to walk through to help clients on either side of the boat. I had a local canvas place make a removable cover for the seat that I use while fishing. Its made of sunbrella and it keeps all the grime off the upholstery. I remove it at the end of the day. When it gets really grimy, I toss it in the washer.

The console doors up front allow easy access to the batteries and there is a ton of storage space available in there as well.

The boat is big but nimble and maneuverable. It responds well to the throttle and helm and tracks well when backing up around the docks. 

I chose to put a 15 x 20 3 blade powertech prop on the boat. The hole shot suffers a bit compared to the 4 blade props I tried but once up and moving it cruises around 35-38 with 3-4 people, full livewell and full fuel. Top speed with just me is 57-60 depending in the day. Fuel economy seems to hover around 2.8-3.1 at 3900-4200 rpms. I am hearing good things about the Enertia Eco props from Mercury and am considering one in the near future.

I really like this boat. I do not miss my old 22V. (I never thought I would say that.) I get a lot of compliments from clients and from folks at the dock about it. It seems everyone wants one. :)

Thanks to Maverick Boat Company for doing what you do. Build a good product and stand behind it when the need arises. I would not hesitate to buy another when the time comes.

That's why we all like the 25.  Everyone that buys one, seems to love it, and echos your thoughts.  Same here on the big leaning post livewell, but maybe it will come soon.  Hint, Hint. I have been offshore in mine when I probably should not have.  Just take your time and plow through it, and you'll be back at the inlet.  The boat will run in 2 to 4, all day, and when it gets 3 to 5,  just slow down a little and you will be fine. No need to beat the hell out of yourself.   My new one is in the oven right now, and I cant wait.  I'm also going with the Rhodan.

• 1 month later...

Grandson in laws brother just took delivery of one two weeks ago. Been offshore 70 miles twice. Just loves the boat. Had tower and controls as option, everything white powdered coated with light blue hull. Looks outstanding. Caught huge red snappers on both trips. He can’t say enough about the boat.

Archived