Bahamas trip

northernsnooker

Are you planning to visit the West End or which Island group are you planning to visit. If you are going to West End from around W Palm you are only talking 50 to 60 miles. I’ve seen days when you could take a 20 ft boat across....but I’ve also seen days when a 45’ Hatteras wasn’t a good ride.

I’ve taken a 24 PF from Singer Island to Chub Cay which is over 165 miles....we had four boats running together, but you have to really keep an eye on the weather and pick the perfect day to run if you plan to head toward the Berry Islands or further toward Nassau. 

As JJ says, it's all in the weather. The SeaCraft crazies are trying to get a gathering set for next July to the Bahamas. It's one of those if you make the reservations, pay the deposit for lodging and the weather is terrible you can't go or the scheduled trip back is delayed you have more problems. Check out the gatherings section on Classicseacraft.com for some info, plus pictures Snookerd's trip over last year in his 23'er. Good luck.

Oh yeah, I saw on Instagram where one of the skiff manufacturers drove an 18' skiff over last week to the Bahamas to deliver to a customer, so it can be done in smaller boats. 

The Bahamian Office of Tourism used to organize a trip out of Pirates Cove in Stuart, FL in July. You could launch in Stuart and stay overnight at Pirates Cove for a departure early the next day. They would run about 12 boats to include large sportfish and center consoles. Don't know if they are still doing it as I have moved from Stuart and don't keep up with the event. 

Archived