Fulton xlt jack question

whichwaysup

Anyone have a fulton xlt jack on their trailer?  I just installed one and discovered after it was fully installed, it grinds like the gear teeth arent meshing properly.  I assume I was lucky enough to get a defective one, but want to make sure it isnt supposed to feel like a ratchet wrench before I blow them up.  

I hate trailer jacks as a species, so I bought this one thinking maybe it wasnt a complete piece of junk.  This isnt helping mg opinion.  arrgghh.

I has an Fulton XLT and then was dumb enough to buy a Fulton F2, both were not that great. It’s definately not supposed to be grinding or ratcheting. The handle end that the gear is pinned to deflects inside the housing causing it it poorly mesh, and then eventually skip on the teeth of the telescopes on the jack. If you can get your money back get an old school Dutton-Lainson and be done with it, that’s what I did with my winch and jack anyway. The Fulton stuff seems to have really gone down hill quality-wise. 

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:47 PM, jason p said:

I has an Fulton XLT and then was dumb enough to buy a Fulton F2, both were not that great. It’s definately not supposed to be grinding or ratcheting. The handle end that the gear is pinned to deflects inside the housing causing it it poorly mesh, and then eventually skip on the teeth of the telescopes on the jack. If you can get your money back get an old school Dutton-Lainson and be done with it, that’s what I did with my winch and jack anyway. The Fulton stuff seems to have really gone down hill quality-wise. 

How does the Dutton-Lainson hold up in a salt water environment?

13 hours ago, jason p said:

As good as ferrous metal can I guess. I did get their powder coated 2-speed winch 3 or 4 years ago and it’s still perfect. My boat lives inside but I imagine being outside wouldn’t affect it too much either. 

Thanks for the response. I'll check them out.

Archived