I Want FMT! What Would You Do?

soflah3

4 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

to just run the card...I'd go with anything that supports it within your budget...lowerance systems run it and you can find a 9-12" screen for a good price....

For the 10K's, I can tell you it's worth it....I've been running the front for 15 years, but, with the FMT, I spending more time in the back as I can run the Lopez with some assurance..maybe not on a negative low....but, on a normal low tide, I ran it in from Houston Bay without a problem,,,and the water was still dropping as I hit the docks at Outdoor Resorts...

DC

That is my thinking(for 10Ks) but also I want to drag the boat down to Pensacola Beach during Spring Break and eventually learn the waters around Pine Island and BG so I can chase some Snook and Reds up that direction.

As for units, I don't mind to pay a little more for something if it is worth while (larger and/or clearer view).  However, I'd like to drop as little as possible in the unit as the card is going to set me back as well.  Plus I think I have to purchase multiple cards to pick up the Glades, Charlotte Harbor and Pensacola???

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, rubble said:

That is my thinking(for 10Ks) but also I want to drag the boat down to Pensacola Beach during Spring Break and eventually learn the waters around Pine Island and BG so I can chase some Snook and Reds up that direction.

As for units, I don't mind to pay a little more for something if it is worth while (larger and/or clearer view).  However, I'd like to drop as little as possible in the unit as the card is going to set me back as well.  Plus I think I have to purchase multiple cards to pick up the Glades, Charlotte Harbor and Pensacola???

Their website list all the units that support the chip. If costs are a factor Lowrance is the least expensive of the units. I started with a 7” Lowrance HDS. 7” is not recommended and I agree having used it, just to small. I had a steal of a deal on a 9” fall in my lap so I jumped on it. 9” is leaps and bounds better, however I still would like to move up to at least 12”. All that being said in my opinion the 9” is perfectly acceptable and works great anything beyond that is just a luxury. 

Used for the first time my FMT at flamingo on Saturday on my 9" Lowrance Elite TI2. Mapping updates were fast with no issues.   I just followed the red line and it took me through the channels and stayed outside the yellow lines. One thing not to clear is as long as I run close to the red and avoid the yellow am I good to go? I think understand that when the red and yellow are close I need to stay on the red even more.

10 minutes ago, justfish said:

How is the split screen with the 9”? 

"OK"...but, I rarely use it on the skiff....If I'm looking for bait off shore yes, I use it, but, only for a few minutes....I don't use it for reef fishing....If i did, I'd probably go 12"..

My old Garmin 3212 was 12" if I recall, and I used both a Furuno and Garmin when looking for tails off the keys.

dc

Archived