Minn Kota Trolling Motor

kawakibi

Looking to buy a Minn Kota for my new Redfisher18. Thought of getting the Ulterra self deploy but have read many reviews with problems on the deploy engine and trim engine. The New Terrova balanced seems better than those old times with a string to pull. Any input of which way to go? Ulterra or Terrova? 

Also, what shaft do I go with? 54" or 60" ? 

Thanks!

Congrats on the new Redfisher. I purchased an 18 last June. Great boat!

I ended up going with the Ulterra with 60" shaft. I do some inlet fishing and I am glad I went with the 60" shaft. If you will be fishing in only glass flat waters the 54" would be fine in my opinion.

Between the reviews and the price difference on the Ulterra I just couldn't justify it. When I am bouncing from spot to spot I sometimes think how nice the auto deploy feature would be but that doesn't happen that often.

16 hours ago, soflah3 said:

Congrats on the new Redfisher. I purchased an 18 last June. Great boat!

I ended up going with the Ulterra with 60" shaft. I do some inlet fishing and I am glad I went with the 60" shaft. If you will be fishing in only glass flat waters the 54" would be fine in my opinion.

Between the reviews and the price difference on the Ulterra I just couldn't justify it. When I am bouncing from spot to spot I sometimes think how nice the auto deploy feature would be but that doesn't happen that often.

Thanks! I think you meant - you went with the Terrova not Ulterra. Thanks for the heads up on the 60” cause I will be mostly in Biscayne Bay and sometimes the finger channels- not grass flats.  It may be a bit choppy, so I think 60” then would then be better. I was just concerned about it sticking out too far when stored on the 60”.

Prob won’t get the Ulterra. I agree with you on the reviews and price. And Captpn - I would never trust that thing and go park - leave my boat floating alone - not in Miami. lol

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't already purchased that MinnKota, the 60 in. shaft, all the way as others have confirmed. 

FYI, if it's the Terrova you got,  there was chatter awhile back over the Lift Assist feature in rough water with the bow of your boat rising and falling, making the TM move up and down, unlocking. See bbcboards.net and a 2017 post on THT. Others say they only experienced the problem once. Or never. 

Also, you might check bob's machine and look at their Quick Slip device. They say one of the models works for a Terrova (if that's what you bought). Makes a lot of sense if you need to adjust to various conditions and depths not only after moving to a different spot, but when working the same area as things change there.  I have an older Riptide ST and need to see of Bob's gizmo can work with this model. 

Archived