Under Gunnel Carpet removal

Limitless

I am starting to do some of the cosmetic work on the 2004  16' Redfisher I got from Linesider159 a month or so ago.  The hull is in remarkable shape but the carpet under the gunnels has to be replaced.  I have purchased the sea dek to use and pulled the carpet off and I am now faced with the 14 year old dried glue underneath.  It is hard and brittle and I'm looking for ideas as to how to best get it cleaned off.  Maybe Goo-Gone or acetate or ???  I'd appreciate any ideas or advice.

After this I have to start on a rewire project.  When I opened the console hatch I knew why Shane decided to flip this one instead of keeping her.  It's not really going to be that bad, just straightening up and redoing some of it.  I'll post some pics as I go on the project.  I just wish it would get above the 40s for a high and quit raining up here.

• 1 month later...

I ended up using a heat gun and a 5" wide "putty knife" for a scraper.  After I had most of the glue off I hit it with a palm sander - trying to sand when there was a lot of glue left just gummed up the sand paper.  After sanding, I cleaned it up with acetone.  Doing the self install on the sea-dek worked pretty well too.  Just take your time cutting it and use a straight edge where ever possible.  Ill try to post a pic.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:51 AM, Limitless said:

I ended up using a heat gun and a 5" wide "putty knife" for a scraper.  After I had most of the glue off I hit it with a palm sander - trying to sand when there was a lot of glue left just gummed up the sand paper.  After sanding, I cleaned it up with acetone.  Doing the self install on the sea-dek worked pretty well too.  Just take your time cutting it and use a straight edge where ever possible.  Ill try to post a pic.

Awesome, thank you!