Tripletail

dcathey

I’m from SE Ga and we have about 8-10 weeks before the tripletail begin to show up off our coast. Do the trippys that come to the nearshore and inshore structure get there earlier? I’ve always wanted to come down for a weekend and try something different since it’s only 3.5 hrs away. I appreciate any input....btw I was considering Port Canaveral if there are any good spots to launch and leave the boat in for a weekend

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'll give it a shot lol, by no means and expert on Tripletail, but I have been seeing some nice ones in recent photos the last few weeks.  Port Canaveral is your best bet, the buoy line is where most people I know of fish for them. The Canaveral bight is generally fishable from a WSW to pretty much a North wind. Any East or SE and it gets really bumpy.  A good launch facility at the East end of the port. A bad launch facility at the West end of the port...  A couple marinas that may(?) offer temp storage.  A couple hotels close by that could work. Good luck ! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

too long since been on forum.  Trip bite has been either fantastic or none existent.  Watch the water temps.  COBIA here now, mostly nearshore and on the rays.  Kingfish came streaming back in about a week ago.  Sheepshed around.    Trips are being found on anything floating.. there is a dredge working in the bite.  EARLY, before they get to work, fish the buoys and pipe.  Once they start work they will run you off (and btw, not safe being near the pipe just in case).   remember min size now 18", most of the fish being caught in the 5-6lb range, but a very few solid 12-15lb fish are being found.  

Ramp at Jetty Park is good, though parking a real PIA as there is construction.  Weekends with nice weather a mess, but weekdays pretty easy to find parking.  Few places to leave boat in water (if its a skiff).  Cape Marina and Scorpion (now known as Port Canaveral Marina) have temp slips, but mostly for larger vessels.  Best to trailer.