Just picked up 03 2300dv

waterman7474

Just got back into the mix.  Quick history, I live in south Houston and back in 99, I bought a Redfisher Tunnel Orvis Edition (was suuuuper sexy....pics later).  A year in, I had some structural issues with the tunnel leaking where the tunnel met the stern plate and in typical stellar fashion, after one email and a phone call, the company offered me a new hull, I opted for the just released 1810v.  They came out to Houston, picked up the boat, drove it back to FL, swapped out all my running gear and rigging, drove it back out to me (who does that!!??!?!).  I proceeded to beat the snot out of that boat for 5 years, with nary a squeak, crack, hiccup until I moved to Vegas in 05 and sold it to a close friend.  Kind of vowed I was a devout fan for life. 

Just last Oct, I moved back to south Houston and my friend was talking about putting my old boat in the marina in my neighborhood so I could use it.  I had always dreamed of having a 2300dv and just killing some time between conference calls I was bored cruising the interwebs and yesterday I see one on Craigslist in Galveston that was up for all of a day.  With the proceeds from the ridiculous housing market burning a hole in my pocket...cleared it with upper management and headed down today and rolled down and checked it out.  He said in one day he got dozens of calls and one guy from FL was foaming at the mouth.   Got him down a tad on the price and happy with the value for the semi-unicorn, especially considering what they seem to have been going for over the last few years.

The down side, it was a guide boat...so its' well used but it's mostly TLC and elbow grease.  She's rough but it's mostly cosmetic I and relatively easy I think.  Any other brand would be trashed, as his other 3 charter boats were.  It was vinyl wrapped on the hull and console most of it's life so the exterior hull a console are in shockingly good condition considering.  The motor is an older Yam SW250 2smoke but you breath on the key and it starts, no hiccup and pulls hard and runs clean when warm (they are kind of bullet proof) but probably only has a season or two at most but I'll run it till it dies.  Shifts in/out of gear silently but I'll replace all the fluids for my own satisfaction.  There are no stress cracks anywhere, including the box lids (I'm blown away considering the amount of use).  The foot rail is missing which kind of *** but it is replaceable. 

The ugly...somewhatstuff I can do myself, figure sink a 1k or so and it will be good to go for the summer.  Two one inch nicks in the gelcoat on the port strakes, midships.  Need to replace the throttle binnacle.   Anchor locker hinges, two wing fish box latches, rear access panel hinges.  The control panel has been replaced but I don't like it, I'll replace that with something more durable.  There are some shade-tree rigged LED lights spread around that will get ripped out almost immediately and replaced with weather tight units as well as proper weather tight units under the gunnels.  I almost want to add a small box to the t-top and move the vhf up there.   There are no rod holders on the side of the console or on the gunnels.  I can probably add some to the inside gunnels but not sure how to attache them as I'm a little hesitant to drill through the pristine gel coat but I might just have to *** it up.

All the pumps (bilge, livewell, macerator, pitch well) need to be replaced and new wires pulled.  I think I should replace all the hoses and clamps as well, probably the seacocks.  The rear switch panel and box need a lot of comet and some re-wire.  The LP live well is in *** good shape.  All the boxes need new gaskets.  Console box is tired and needs new plexi. The premix tank cap clearly needs a new gasket...  Inside the console and inside the rear access panel need some SERIOUS soap, bleach and stiff brush.

Upholstery is original so I'll have someone else knock that out, maybe add some hip pads.  Probably maybe add some Seadek in a few select places myself.  The t-top is cloth and in great shape.  The aluminum is a little corroded but nothing some dw40 and 00 steel wool won't fix.  It could use a wind screen and some new speakers.   Maybe two smaller bean bags for the kids (5&7).

Trailer is decent older galvanized but with new axles, springs, hinges, bearings, buddies, runners.  It's ugly as cat puke but completely serviceable. 

And stripper boat name has to go...

I"m stoked.

00z0z_dOspo4OxJ0D_1200x900.jpg

00Q0Q_kRf6vl6F2yo_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_9Ulxodx8hEq_1200x900.jpg

00L0L_dy6PtRWyIoi_1200x900.jpg

IMG_20190201_154323947_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190201_154356702_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190201_154403998_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Nice rig!. I saw it posted the other day and showed a buddy who is looking. They are rare boats and definitely very cool. I think that will be a fun project to refurb as you use it. Keep us updated on the progress and be sure to ask for advice on here, there is a wealth of knowledge. I live in league city and fish Galveston mostly, hope to see you around. 

• 2 years later...