Faded switch panel options

justfish

Trying to get a game plan for what I'm going to do w/ my switch panel. It's faded to point hat no writing is left on it.

Where do you get new panels? I checked founder pounder and didn't find mine there. I also would be interested in getting one custom made. I don't love my trim tab switches being way up on dash.

I've seen guys wrap them, what goes into that and who does it? Also, mines cracked on one corner. I have the corner, and I'm sure can epoxy it back together. Does the panel need to come off to get wrapped? If not that would def be the easiest option.

Thx guys I'll call those guys.

FLDXT, That one you made looks nice. I really like that price too. Did you find a place to cut it to size and then just drilled your holes? Also do you know the name of the switches you have? I have rockers and would be interested in checking out swapping to those while doing this.

http://www.boatoutfitters.com/marine-grade-acrylic.html

They will cut to spec. I sanded the edges to round them off. I cut the holes using drill bits I shaved down on a grinder, I couldn't find "acrylic" drill bits anywhere. A lot of information around about drilling acrylic, but you can't use a normal bit, it will crack the acrylic. I ordered two, one as a tester and the other was the final product in case I messed up.. I had a local sign shop make the stickers. I used adhesive promoter then clear coated over the stickers so the edges wouldn't get caught and come up. The switches are blue seas, on off on.

You can simply remove your face plate panel and take it to your local engraver and he can duplicate. I just did mine and also replace all switches and activators. As good as new. I have an Pathy 1810 and I believe that your panel is the same as mine. I deleted the analog gauge on the redo because it leaked water and was a duplicate of the digital gauge anyway. Easy peasy to do.....cost about $200.00 to do, but to me I wanted to keep it as original as possible. Boatoutfitters wanted over $200.00 just to do new engraved face panel....no switches and no activators....fyi

In Adobe Illustrator, I created an EPS file that perfectly matches the factory Hewes 13 7/8" x 3" panel. Though I did add an extra switch. Just had to take it to a local engraver. I dry fit it in my console last night, and the screw holes even lined up. Anyone wants a copy of the file, just PM me your email address.

[image]http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag228/harleyg8r/Untitled_zps96209ada.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag228/harleyg8r/IMG_0917_zps3d2c6543.jpg[/image]

• Like 1

Can this thread be saved or archived before it gets lost in the abyss?

Yes, please before the week things are saved around here is up. :susel:

Great ideas on this issue guys. Never thought of getting one cut. Priced one cut to my specs from above link and it was like $13-15 depending on color. That's awesome. Great info to be had here on forum, too bad it gets lost. Good call on saving this one...

Bob at Shallow Water Customs

Forum name: ShallowH20Cust

Bob@shallowwatercustoms.com

Boca Raton - Ft. Liquirdale :)

954-772-1172

Sketched what I wanted for Bob who had Pathfinder template on CAD.

Nice, thick, etched through back and able to be backlit with LED. No sticker-panel to peel off later.

Bob can add switches also if you want. I rewired everything myself and added my own switches.

IMGP0800_zpsb64de927.jpg

IMGP0791_zpsaf7a59bc.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/3/2014 at 11:16 AM, justfish said:

Trying to get a game plan for what I'm going to do w/ my switch panel. It's faded to point hat no writing is left on it.

Where do you get new panels? I checked founder pounder and didn't find mine there. I also would be interested in getting one custom made. I don't love my trim tab switches being way up on dash.

I've seen guys wrap them, what goes into that and who does it? Also, mines cracked on one corner. I have the corner, and I'm sure can epoxy it back together. Does the panel need to come off to get wrapped? If not that would def be the easiest option.

Marine Instrument, gauge, switch, electronics blank panels for boats (fpmarine.com) 

Can not say enough good about these folks THEY called me and asked what color I wanted and we customized my panel to what I wanted and I also ordered all the switches with them for a EXACT replacement of my 1997 Bayfisher 

See them and call them for any replacement dash switch panel

Curt 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If it is jsut faded and not cracked, you can use vinyl wrap over the switch pannel then apply blue seas label stickers (or similar) over it. No, its not perfect or back lit but its under $20 and takes less than an hour.

IMG_1765.thumb.jpg.0758f25f65e596865458e0bc17ad5e34.jpg

I didn't have a finished product picture, after this you run a razor blade around the edge to get a clean line and apply the stickers.

IMG_1766.thumb.jpg.c5fbd229aee5b3bdc9acbe875256b4c2.jpg

On 3/18/2021 at 2:59 PM, SouthernWake said:

If it is jsut faded and not cracked, you can use vinyl wrap over the switch pannel then apply blue seas label stickers (or similar) over it. No, its not perfect or back lit but its under $20 and takes less than an hour.

IMG_1765.thumb.jpg.0758f25f65e596865458e0bc17ad5e34.jpg

I didn't have a finished product picture, after this you run a razor blade around the edge to get a clean line and apply the stickers.

IMG_1766.thumb.jpg.c5fbd229aee5b3bdc9acbe875256b4c2.jpg

Cool idea !!!

What vinyl are you using....

dc