Everglades National Park March 9

Great day in the Park yesterday. 9:33 a.m. low tide at Shark River meant we would have incoming water most of the day. Weather forecast was favorable, though the winds were expected to be rather brisk, but from the east. Launched in the back at first light and ran through Whitewater Bay, stopping at a few spots to scout for tarpon. Seeing none, we ran through the Shark River and creeks in that area, out into Ponce De Leon Bay, and up the coast. Dodging the exposed areas and barely covered snags, we worked the areas sight fishing as the tide starting flooding. Most of the day was spent in that area, throwing a Red Belly Rapala X-Rap Twitchin' Mullet, Slayer Swim Tails, Zman Trout Tricks, GULP! Jerk Shads and Shrimp, and live shrimp on jig heads. As is usually the case, we had the best luck when the water was moving or when we could find pinch points that channeled water and fishing the points and underwater structure. We started back as the tide turned slack, stopping at a couple of places inside of the Shark River. For the day, we brought over 50 fish to the boat, including a few nice trout and several smaller ones; 3 slot-size snook and dozens of smaller snook; many rat reds; assorted mangrove snapper, jacks and catfish. Overall a wonderful day with a good old friend, Captain Tom Ross. Enjoyed showing him some more of the Park. Here are a few pictures from our day.

fullsizeoutput_55f8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_55f2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_55fd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_55f5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_55fe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_55f4.jpeg

I think so too Coto.  I remember the years after the freeze in 2010.  The first season after we caught reds that were 18"; the second season they were 22"-24"; 5 or six years later we were catching them up to 38"-40".   Then they left and went to NC and VA!  

9 hours ago, Big Dave said:

I think so too Coto.  I remember the years after the freeze in 2010.  The first season after we caught reds that were 18"; the second season they were 22"-24"; 5 or six years later we were catching them up to 38"-40".   Then they left and went to NC and VA!  

Hooo ya....yep, in one spot DonH and I caught 28 reds all schooled up....been back again 50 times....they never appeared again after that day in large numbers...

dc

Archived