New engine/new prop

HewesYourDaddy

Results are in! Running the new prop as I type this. PowerTech PTR4, 20inch pitch.  Hit 6200rpm (top rpm for this engine), with the tide, against a pretty good breeze, 30+gal fuel, 2 men. 41.1mph a top rpm. Jack plate all the way down, trimmed out just enough to reach rev limit. I am super pleased. Big shout out to Marcus a PowerTech with his knowledge! Phenomenal grip, holeshot, and good stern lift (but not too much to make it a trimming nightmare). 

I think the Yamaha was propped wrong, but if I remember correctly, 4500 was  25-28mph depending on seas and load. WOT at 5500 maybe could see 38. Too much stern lift on the old engine and prop. Constant trim fight. This is a perfect prop for this boat. I am soooo impressed with Marcus and his knowledge. When I saw the prop, my first impression was it was going to be entirely too aggressive. Not so. 

The boat and motor looks amazing....I’m glad she is running to your satisfaction....you can never go wrong with the Funkey Monkey, he is the prop king for most boats. Also: PowerTech stands behind their props and work....if you don’t like it, send it back, they will change whatever it takes until you are happy. I’ve had great results with Marcus.

1 hour ago, fishmanjj said:

The boat and motor looks amazing....I’m glad she is running to your satisfaction....you can never go wrong with the Funkey Monkey, he is the prop king for most boats. Also: PowerTech stands behind their props and work....if you don’t like it, send it back, they will change whatever it takes until you are happy. I’ve had great results with Marcus.

JJ, highly impressed with PT service and knowledge. I hope the info I give Marcus on Monday will go into his database and help the few others that have the 1900T. 

One question though..... there is nothing in the instructions that came with prop.  I received a small plastic ring that looks like it fits between the gearcase and the rear of the prop. I assume it’s to negate (or allow) exhaust to flow in a specific area of the prop (thru hub or over hub). But it doesn’t seem to stay in exactly the right position. Can someone explain the correct configuration?

It goes over the gear case end of the prop. It should be a snug/snap fit. Look up “ Cajun prop ring” for the gist. Glad you’re happy with the end result, HYD! Your rig looks all the better with a black outboard hanging off the stern. 

42 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Great news on the prop setup HYD!  The Funky Monkey dun good!  Your boat looks very nice with the new Zuke on the back, and the weight/balance is perfect.  Happy for you it all worked out so well!

HewesYourDaddy_new_Suzuki.jpeg

Thanks a bunch! Funky Monkey did fantastic. I am also very please with the balance and the resting attitude of the boat. Almost no noticeable difference than with the Yam-2stroke. Biggest difference I notice when running (result of prop type??) is that I use almost NO tabs. Engine trimming is minimal at best also. 

17 hours ago, BradM said:

It goes over the gear case end of the prop. It should be a snug/snap fit. Look up “ Cajun prop ring” for the gist. Glad you’re happy with the end result, HYD! Your rig looks all the better with a black outboard hanging off the stern. 

Thanks Brad. I got the prop pulled and ring installed correctly. 👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 3:53 PM, geeviam said:

You may see even better performance and less slip with the ring installed correctly.  Seen it before.

I have a dilema. I tested the boat today with the new Raymarine unit (amazing bottom views from this machine!), and the prop ring installed in the correct configuration. The issue now is I'm getting extreme grip loss (blow out)  in the turns unlike before when I had the ring installed incorrectly. 

3 minutes ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

I have a dilema. I tested the boat today with the new Raymarine unit (amazing bottom views from this machine!), and the prop ring installed in the correct configuration. The issue now is I'm getting extreme grip loss (blow out)  in the turns unlike before when I had the ring installed incorrectly. 

Funny you should mention that.  I had the same problem with a new prop I tested today, with the ring installed correctly.  Do you have a picture of how the prop looked with the ring installed incorrectly before?  Could the new transducer have anything to do with your grip-loss issue?  Is it in line with the prop (in front of it)?

6 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Funny you should mention that.  I had the same problem with a new prop I tested today, with the ring installed correctly.  Do you have a picture of how the prop looked with the ring installed incorrectly before?  Could the new transducer have anything to do with your grip-loss issue?  Is it in line with the prop (in front of it)?

The new transducer is well outside of the prop track, but I did think about that for a moment and verified that it was running with no interference. Let me find a pic....

Archived