Finally made the plunge - look what arrived in the mail :)

Wanaflatsfish

Enjoy! I just did a self study course. Study the practice tests as they are very similar to the exam.

i thought the test would be the hardest part but scheduling all the visits to complete the medical was the most frustrating.

my app has been sitting at the national center for a few weeks now, progress on the processing has been painstakingly slow.

If you need another study guide I can shoot you a copy of my typed notes. I also have a great diagram you'll need to learn to draw that will help you with rules of the road. Enjoy the classes! It's a lot of fun. Congrats on taking the plunge. 

4 hours ago, Drummer said:

If you need another study guide I can shoot you a copy of my typed notes. I also have a great diagram you'll need to learn to draw that will help you with rules of the road. Enjoy the classes! It's a lot of fun. Congrats on taking the plunge. 

Will take you up on it...thank you...

dc

3 hours ago, conocean said:

Oh no....first its FMT and now it’s USCG! What’s next, Dino!? 😊 

You’ll pass no problem 👍🏻

Gotta start thinking about retirement.....there has to be a bunch of Yankees who I can take on a boat ride that don't know the ENP....errrrr....fishing :)

dc

1 hour ago, fin-addict said:

st to you and the course

thank you....really just taking it to increase my knowledge base in the event I decide to move up to a live-aboard when I retire in a few years....

My dream is to own an old Grand Banks, single screw, two staterooms and just cruise around towing my MA17.....

I can set up with a satellite dish and be consulting in the a.m. and feeeshing in da PM :)

dc

31 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

thank you....really just taking it to increase my knowledge base in the event I decide to move up to a live-aboard when I retire in a few years....

My dream is to own an old Grand Banks, single screw, two staterooms and just cruise around towing my MA17.....

I can set up with a satellite dish and be consulting in the a.m. and feeeshing in da PM :)

dc

Hope you get too live that dream. It was ours also to liveaboard. Shortly after the wife retired is when she really got ill and passed as you know. Do it while you can. Never know what tomorrow may bring. And thank you again for all your support during that time. Will never be forgotten along with the rest of these forum members. Three years this August.

Make sure when you take the drug test you enroll in a random drug testing program and keep the consortium paperwork with you if your going to use the license. I have heard first time applicants are going to have to provide this before you can get the license now. It seems it's the new rage for a boarding inspection. Non Compliance can result in fines of over 5K. I got asked recently for the first time in 20 years as have some other area captains.

Make sure you check that. Also, check TWIC card for first time applicants.

As mentioned, the application form must be perfect. My last renewal was painless. Took 3 weeks. It only took me 5 renewals to figure it out. 🤕

2 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

Make sure when you take the drug test you enroll in a random drug testing program and keep the consortium paperwork with you if your going to use the license. I have heard first time applicants are going to have to provide this before you can get the license now. It seems it's the new rage for a boarding inspection. Non Compliance can result in fines of over 5K. I got asked recently for the first time in 20 years as have some other area captains.

Make sure you check that. Also, check TWIC card for first time applicants.

As mentioned, the application form must be perfect. My last renewal was painless. Took 3 weeks. It only took me 5 renewals to figure it out. 🤕

Troy,

As always, Insights are always appreciated.

DC

Archived