Thru hull v transom mount ducer

raymo

I have a 01 Pathy 2200v. I currently have a Garmin FF/GPS with a transom mount transducer. Im strongly considering upgrading my unit and making a move to Simrad for the charting options. I primarily fish inshore and nearshore, rarely in waters deeper than 100ft. Would I notice the difference between transom mount and a thru hull?

Not really, only if you loose speed and bottom readings at higher speeds which often happens with transom mounts, not thru hulls. Just make sure the thru hull is mounted where it belongs and won’t be sitting on a bunk if on a lift or trailer. Have had both. I happen to like shoot thru the best.

edited due to leaving out bottom reading. I personally have never lost any readings on transom mounting.

I've had several transom mounted transducers over the years on several boats. I always had problems with them loosing the bottom on plane. My present boat has a thru-hull and will read the bottom at 50mph. I'm happy with the thru-hull, but you are not going to find stuff on the bottom at that speed. I fish like you do, inshore or near shore. So, when looking for stuff on the bottom, either transducer will do about the same job.

On the other hand, positioning the transducer on the transom for the optimum readings is sometimes very tricky because of the design of the hull and things like cheese graters. Positioning a thru-hull transducer for optimum readings is much easier. There are lots of good members here, so someone with your hull design will be able to help. 

What about thru-hull with side scan? 

I am working on upgrading at some point soon and have a transom mount now with same issues.  There is a much older Airmar 20deg (like 3inch?)  that the PO cut the wire and was thinking about replacing it with the new unit but don't know if if garmin or simrad offer a transducer with side scan that will not be too much of a pain in the existing hole.  I really don't want to cut a new hole. 

Thru hull side scan is a 2 unit process. One for left side and one for right side. Way to much for an inshore boat in my opinion. 

A thru hull will always be best on plane while a shoot thru can be a close second. With that being said a transom mount adjusted properly works well for the decreased aggravation of installation and is why they are used.

Archived