Outboard air intake & pollen?

geeviam

Currently in our area of Upstate SC, we are being blanketed with a burst of Spring pollen.  However, pollen aside, the weather forecast for tomorrow is perfect and I want to run the boat.  Should I be concerned about pollen entering the air intake on my Yamaha?  Is there a type of filter/sock I should place over the air intake screen?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

If your motor starts sneezing the pollen is the least of your worries.

If pollen were bad for it ,my truck, boat and everything I own would be tore up this past year.

Fighting lady yellow is and has been for a month the color of choice for everything around here !

If you need to put a sock/protection on it, I would skip that date!

5 minutes ago, jason p said:

I’ve never thought about it, nor heard of it so I personally wouldn’t worry about it. I would think putting any kind of filter on the air box would play havoc with your ECU trying to get the fuel/air mixture correct. 

Good points Jason and Troy.  I never thought about it when I lived in S. FL and fished the coastal waters, but up here on the lakes, the pollen is thick this time of year.  You can rinse your car off, and two hours later it'll be covered with the yellow dust again.  A guy on one of the bass forums said he has used his wife's pantyhose over the air intake - but warned you wouldn't want a piece of it to get sucked into the air box - bigger problems then.

I asked the same question to my Yamaha dealer a while back....

I said, how come there is no air filter on the F150 or others....

He looked at me and said....not much dust out on the water these days....don't ya know :)  I looked at him and said....errrrrr....yep...never thought of that one :)

He was all in good fun, but said, don't need it unless you are fishing next to the coast line of Saudi Arabia :)

dc

Yeah, I was up in Murphy/Hanging Dog, NC last weekend and the pollen was at the same levels as here in west Florida a month ago. I went the normal way and used the Nasonex up my nose, way too expensive for my boat engine's intake!!  :)

Archived