West Sstems Epoxy on Hewes

Mad Beach Hewes

Hoping someone can give me some guidance here. I filled in some transducer holes with epoxy that were filled with caulk by the previous owner. I thought I hade the epoxy thick enough when I injected the epoxy in the holes with a syringe. I was very careful to not get air pockets during the process. However after the epoxy cured a few of the holes have a few small pinholes in them. They don’t seem to be deep at all but thought I would post some pictures and get some advice if you think I should drill it out an re epoxy. Any advice would be appreciated. This is my first vertical application with epoxy so wanted some other advice. Hope to have gel coat applied over these once I can get someone to match the color and do the work. These pictures are blown up so look larger then they are.

4FF838A2-44C9-461C-ACE3-E382963EF44B.jpeg

FE26666D-43B4-4760-9319-3674D36B7BE2.jpeg

6E250853-3FC3-49D2-AC0C-75CD7BB61084.jpeg

What epoxy, fiberglass epoxy resin? I always drill the holes the next size larger to make good clean contact with the hull/transom material. West systems 6/10 epoxy is best for what you describe. For penetrations in the hull, if I can drill all the way through I do, then start filling and once the filler comes out the other side put a piece of painters tape on it, continue to fill, over flow, clean it, another piece of painters tape on the outside. For blind holes I use a small piece of "stick" for the lack of a better term, and fill the hole put the stick in push air out, more filler, repeat, when there is no more air I over fill, clean excess and a piece of painters tape and seal it up. 

What I see in your pictures is air that popped out when the resin warmed up, it needed to escape. Air is no bueno!

I used the West systems 105 repair kit and added 406 Colloidal Silica to thicken. I did drill the holes out larger. They aren’t very deep. So are you saying it needs to be redone then?

2 hours ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

What epoxy, fiberglass epoxy resin? I always drill the holes the next size larger to make good clean contact with the hull/transom material. West systems 6/10 epoxy is best for what you describe. For penetrations in the hull, if I can drill all the way through I do, then start filling and once the filler comes out the other side put a piece of painters tape on it, continue to fill, over flow, clean it, another piece of painters tape on the outside. For blind holes I use a small piece of "stick" for the lack of a better term, and fill the hole put the stick in push air out, more filler, repeat, when there is no more air I over fill, clean excess and a piece of painters tape and seal it up. 

What I see in your pictures is air that popped out when the resin warmed up, it needed to escape. Air is no bueno!

Epoxy is a wonderful material for bonding and repairing  but for small non structural applications regular resin and fillers is all that is needed. Epoxy can pose problems when you go to cover with gelcoat.  Gelcoat does not adhere as well to epoxy fo a long term repair. 

Filling the hole with thickened resin with thickened gelcoat is a lot easier than dealing with epoxy.

smilemaker is correct, the polyester gelcoat does not stick well to epoxy resins. I would finish off a repair like that with a grinder, I would grind down past the gelcoat and around the repaired hole flaring it, for a hole like that maybe the size of a quarter or so. Then you could see how deep the hole in repair goes, most of the time the air came out and it sealed itself back up on the inside, the hole would be superficial. Then I would take fairing compound, fair it out, sand it smooth then gelcoat. 

1 hour ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

smilemaker is correct, the polyester gelcoat does not stick well to epoxy resins. I would finish off a repair like that with a grinder, I would grind down past the gelcoat and around the repaired hole flaring it, for a hole like that maybe the size of a quarter or so. Then you could see how deep the hole in repair goes, most of the time the air came out and it sealed itself back up on the inside, the hole would be superficial. Then I would take fairing compound, fair it out, sand it smooth then gelcoat. 

The size of a quarter? The hole is only the size of a small screw? Do I really need to open it up that much? What happens if I just leave the epoxy like it is? The hole that is filled with the tiny bubbles will eventually have a transducer mounted there so it will be drilled out an replaced with a screw. I needed to counter sink the area because it was a little rough. Can I go ahead and use the boat? I have a gel coat guy supposed to look at it in a few weeks. This boat is mint, I just didn’t like the way the filled in the holes. Everything thing I read says to use West Systems Epoxy to fill these areas. Now I am really confused I really don’t want to make these small holes larger if not necessary.  Thanks everyone for the advise.

Archived