Jump to content

Best Charts for Garmin


Jorgerivadeneira

Recommended Posts

There is no best chart for Garmin.  They offer no options other than what they control. So if you get that, all you can get is a Garmin controlled chart.  Since that is the case, it is either G2 or G3 or another dull grey blue offering that has poor features and goes fuzzy when zoomed.  Garmin is not known for having the best charts as years of blog posts by thousands of boaters can attest.  Do a search yourself on a number of blogs.  It shouldn't be a problem if you are an offshore boater as all of the charts are similar out in the ocean.  But if you are an inshore boater and particularly in the SE, Garmin should be last on your list unless you want to see yourself running on land when you are floating.  I must have seen 100 threads over the last few years with that title.  If you get something else, you can still run a Garmin controlled chart if you like but will at least have other options.  Pick the chart first.  After that, pick a unit that will run it.  If you don't do that you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I run a Garmin 94 sv with G2 chart in North Florida, South Georgia and South Carolina and have had no problems. The key is run your tracks at low water a few times to gain the confidence in the unit and then you can set and run track back....I have heard that some people in South Florida and the area around Marco Island have issues with Garmin’s charts. I run my 22 ft Pathfinder  from Savannah over to Hilton Head area before daylight many times .....I’ve ran North Jacksonville area all the way up to Brunswick Ga area with no issues. We chase tripletail and Tarpon all over. I have many friends that fish bay and flats boats and have Garmin, Lowrance, Hummingbird, Simrad, etc and it’s all about getting used to what you have. The Moderators have asked people to quit bashing products on here. Let’s all honor their request because this is a great forum with a lot of useful information. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a post listed as Garmin??? and a few others, the things I picked from them is the Florida folks who have FMT ( Florida Marine Track) love it, on the 7" display unit I believe there is a resolution issue, the Garmin post has a user FMT read what he posted they prefer the larger screens, Standard Mapping also has charts or e-maps they list on there web site that will work on Garmin, I use these in Louisiana so far so good, I have learned there's a LMT ( Louisiana Marine Track) by FMT and they were quick to get me the name of a guide down here using it, exactly what Fishman JJ stated above is fact, find what ya like and learn to use it, I run 7 and a 9" display in my boats, use to run a 5" but it's a bit too small for me. hope it helps 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jorgerivadeneira said:

I am looking into getting a Garmin Echomap Plus 74cv and I wanted to ask what are the different chips and charts that are available to use with garmin. Which would be recommended. This is going to be my first GPS purchase and I need info. Please and Thank you

 

Yes there are. You can get a premium chip that will allow you to do more such as sat image and engine gauges and more. Make sure you get the latest software update and g3 update which was just released which allows for greater detailed when zooming in such as docks not just a canal. Customer service is great for any questions in setting up your unit. Garmin now is using Navionics charting. On the downside, seems not everyone at Garmin knows what is going on with the updating of software and charts so make sure you getting the most recent. They will send you a new chip if needed. I have recently done many posts regarding this subject in detail, look up and read. Very pleased with my new unit. Have been a Garmin user over 20 years. Good luck, fin 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

I run a Garmin 94 sv with G2 chart in North Florida, South Georgia and South Carolina and have had no problems. The key is run your tracks at low water a few times to gain the confidence in the unit and then you can set and run track back....I have heard that some people in South Florida and the area around Marco Island have issues with Garmin’s charts. I run my 22 ft Pathfinder  from Savannah over to Hilton Head area before daylight many times .....I’ve ran North Jacksonville area all the way up to Brunswick Ga area with no issues. We chase tripletail and Tarpon all over. I have many friends that fish bay and flats boats and have Garmin, Lowrance, Hummingbird, Simrad, etc and it’s all about getting used to what you have. The Moderators have asked people to quit bashing products on here. Let’s all honor their request because this is a great forum with a lot of useful information. 

It's useful because people state the truth although it seems some don't like to hear it.  If you want useful information as you state, it seems your penchant for being PC with respect to what information is delivered would be completely counterproductive.  When the actual real truth about something is revealed with hard side by side comparisons and facts and all opinion is removed and a product's shortcomings are revealed that is not bashing.  It's just the truth.  If you dislike hearing the truth that's on you.  But facts are facts and the truth about things always eventually comes out.   There was nothing I wrote that was not factual and truthful and there was no opinion in it at all.  It is what it is.  I can post links to dozens of blog posts going way back regarding the noted issues with Garmin charts.  I can post photos of comparisons for the same places showing glaring differences.  And also, the fact that you even noted in your own response that using your Garmin chart you have to run and record your own tracks to follow in the future in order to safely navigate your area is very telling.   In order for it to work for you, you have to create your own data to overlay on top of it and that is "Key" as you say.  If the Chart you run was properly documented and detailed, you would not have to do that as the obstacles and safe areas to run would be completely obvious right on the chart.  But it's not obvious and that is why you need to run your own previously run trails instead off running off the chart itself.  It's a classic symptom of a product that is not particularly detailed or accurate.   It's like that in FL and TX and LA too.  No one running a Garmin Chart in FL can negotiate challenging areas on the chart alone - they all do the same thing you do so in effect they are actually running their own trails instead of the chart itself.  The chart is not even necessary to do that.  You can just use a free base map in the unit that has virtually no detail at all and do the same thing.  So, that is the truthful reality of the product for most inshore boaters and it's not bashing to state so.

Most people want the real deal and all of the truth about things so they can make the best decision for them. They don't want to hear only the good things with shortcomings buried because someone that uses it might get offended.  It seems there some exceptions to that though and many do appear to run a machine like yours.  Why it is they find the truth about some things and even simple things like a innocuous machine or chart troublesome and perhaps even offensive or bashing is beyond me.  It's just a map or a machine.  It is what it is and it stacks up as it stacks up based on side by side hard comparisons.  How it is grown men could take any offense at all about these differences that someone notes based on their experience with a gps plotter or map seems completely ridiculous to me.    

If people are reluctant to state the their own truths and realities about their experiences with various products for fear of being castigated  or called out for bashing by people who may have different experiences or opinions, the real value in an exchange blog is substantively diminished.  One day you may be in the market for something and read all the super PC comments about it and go ahead and get it thinking it's going to be really great but ultimately find it's not so great.  Then will then wish someone would have had the balls to tell you or show you the rest of the story so all of the information could be taken into account.   There are countless threads out there entitled "what is the best this or the best that....If there is no appetite in a forum for the good, the bad and the ugly to be revealed regarding the options it is a meaningless exchange as the truth is never revealed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Skinny,

do not know where your going with this rant. Each to their own. Some do not need all the bells and whistles of other units including the price your paying for them. You mention g2. Not even being sold anymore as stated the g3 has JUST been updated. In 30 years I have never had to set tracks, I follow my chart, Garmin and never had a problem. And as stated there are Garmin premium chips available if your so inclined to want one. There are pros and cons to every unit including FMT as suggested and recommended a 9” or better be used due to what is shown on the screen. Garmin is also the easiest to use of all units for someone not familiar with gps. I see your new to this forum, we are family here and out to help one another out rather than reading your rants as a newbie. Please give us all some respect as we do know what we speak of. With all due respect. 😀🙏fin

FYI, the gentleman who started this thread asked a simple question. Was no need to go off topic. He was given truthful answers. Every post you respond to seems to go off into another direction.

Sorry Mods and you can slap my hand but enough is enough. Let’s keep to the facts and help each other out as we have always done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Skinny Running said:

There is no best chart for Garmin.  They offer no options other than what they control. So if you get that, all you can get is a Garmin controlled chart.  Since that is the case, it is either G2 or G3 or another dull grey blue offering that has poor features and goes fuzzy when zoomed.  Garmin is not known for having the best charts as years of blog posts by thousands of boaters can attest.  Do a search yourself on a number of blogs.  It shouldn't be a problem if you are an offshore boater as all of the charts are similar out in the ocean.  But if you are an inshore boater and particularly in the SE, Garmin should be last on your list unless you want to see yourself running on land when you are floating.  I must have seen 100 threads over the last few years with that title.  If you get something else, you can still run a Garmin controlled chart if you like but will at least have other options.  Pick the chart first.  After that, pick a unit that will run it.  If you don't do that you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I actually find this informative and useful.  Their charts are inferior to others.  Its a known fact.  I love Garmins cause they are user friendly but they definitely lack precision mapping.  When I upgrade again I will explore different options. 

 

OP,  If you stay with Garmin go with the G3 with latest update.  Its the best they have so far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, fin-addict said:

Skinny,

do not know where your going with this rant. Each to their own. Some do not need all the bells and whistles of other units including the price your paying for them. You mention g2. Not even being sold anymore as stated the g3 has JUST been updated. In 30 years I have never had to set tracks, I follow my chart, Garmin and never had a problem. And as stated there are Garmin premium chips available if your so inclined to want one. There are pros and cons to every unit including FMT as suggested and recommended a 9” or better be used due to what is shown on the screen. Garmin is also the easiest to use of all units for someone not familiar with gps. I see your new to this forum, we are family here and out to help one another out rather than reading your rants as a newbie. Please give us all some respect as we do know what we speak of. With all due respect. 😀🙏fin

FYI, the gentleman who started this thread asked a simple question. Was no need to go off topic. He was given truthful answers. Every post you respond to seems to go off into another direction.

Sorry Mods and you can slap my hand but enough is enough. Let’s keep to the facts and help each other out as we have always done. 

Just making a point Fin that is self explanatory.  It seems for some posters if a comment is made about their equipment with which they disagree even though it may be fully documented going back for years and completely truthful and correct, they take offense and call it out as disrespectful or out of line, mean, or whatever.  They prefer it not be said at all.      I am sorry to say, but some people just can't stand to hear the truth about things and if someone says anything negative about  equipment they have it's just trouble for them for some reason and they have to say something about it because they take it personally rather than just state their own experience and call it a day.    I could not care less about what anyone says or thinks about the equipment I run and if someone says it *** or is poor or inferior in any way and states their case as to why, great.  No issue here.   I just would not care and I would not take it personally or consider it disrespectful to me.   I would just state my own case if I disagree and move on.  Hopefully whoever reads both sides can glean useful information.    

As noted above, some do find all of this information valuable and that is the purpose of this entire forum aside from the product marketing.  Just because you may not like some of the information delivered because its not all positive, it seems you prefer to shut down or limit the full discussion to only what you like to hear or with what you consider polite.  It is possible to state facts that are not good and that does not equate to being rude or not being polite.

I don't find Garmin to be any easier to use than Raymarine or Lowrance with the touch screen machines today.  Once you get used to the menus for a couple of days they are all about the same to me.  Its probably easier to you because you are totally familiar with it.  It's like an iPhone vs. a Samsung.  But the fact you find Garmin easier than a machine I would use doesn't offend me at all and I don't consider it bashing the others or inappropriate or impolite.  

As to keeping to the facts, that is exactly what was done.  All factual and it can be proven.   It's not opinion.   Just remember, sometimes when you keep to the facts, the facts are not always nice to hear.  So if that is really what you want as you state, you will just have to take the good with the bad.  I am not so sure that is really what you want though as you said "enough is enough" but nothing but the truth and the facts were stated.  As far as I am concerned when it comes to getting information about stuff (even stuff I may own), the more facts and truth the better and enough is never enough.  I want everyone's feedback no matter what it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im apologize for having this to become more of a simple discussion of products. I am doing my research little by little. I don't have much experience with shallow with and flamingo for example. The FMT chip sounds lovely because it could help someone without much experience treading those waters. I myself am a huge Garmin fan, always have been. Although you can learn and get used to the charts available for Garmin my opinion still stands that their charts are not the best in the industry. 

What Charts are available for Garmin? what 3rd party company makes charts that are compatible with Garmin? Simrad does have better quality resolution and is somewhat more techy and up to date with the touch screen and what not (not saying that it is an advantage). Garmin somewhat keeps it old school. 

When it comes to FMT and the 7 inch Simrad screen. I want to hear it from someone that has experience with it. I know the guys over at FMT recommend the 9 inch but i somewhat call BS. I believe the NEW Simrad GO7 XSE has a second port and a faster processor so there is no more lagging with the picture. The guys at FMT said that you could not put the charts for the whole start of Florida in the GO7 because it only has 1 port and it make it slower and what not but the XSE has a second port now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jorge, no need to apologize what so ever. You asked a simple question and should have been answered accordingly. Garmin charts may not be as detailed as others but since going with Navionics they are a lot better. I myself have seen a big difference since the new updated g3 mapping has come out. As for touch screen, Garmin has several models. It has been stated by many that in small boats touch screens may be difficult to use if running in chop compared to buttons. I have used both and like the buttons better, jmo. Garmin Navionics has a Platinum card that will show a lot more detail like satellite imagery and gauges for your motor. It is also compatible for other systems you may want to run. Just make sure you get the latest software updates and the mapping g3 update. If you need these updates you can download them on your computer with a sad card. Much easier is to have Garmin send you an sd card update and put into unit. Hope this has helped a bit. ALL units are good and will get the job done. It all depends what your looking for and the price you want to pay. 

Always feel feel free to ask questions, that’s the way we all learn. 😀fin

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it me or are the guys that sell FMT a little Butt Hurt that Garmin is not begging them to let them on board. I mean I keep reading how Garmin says no thank you and they come here to yell Garmin sux everytime someone says gps. I’m glad that they have a great product and glad some guys here are buying units just to run FMT but for god sake you don’t have to be such a dick about Garmin products. I’m kinda sick of it. If your product was that good you would not need to spend more time taking about the gps units guys put on there boats than just kindly offering the great things FMT offers, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jorgerivadeneira said:

Im apologize for having this to become more of a simple discussion of products. I am doing my research little by little. I don't have much experience with shallow with and flamingo for example. The FMT chip sounds lovely because it could help someone without much experience treading those waters. I myself am a huge Garmin fan, always have been. Although you can learn and get used to the charts available for Garmin my opinion still stands that their charts are not the best in the industry. 

What Charts are available for Garmin? what 3rd party company makes charts that are compatible with Garmin? Simrad does have better quality resolution and is somewhat more techy and up to date with the touch screen and what not (not saying that it is an advantage). Garmin somewhat keeps it old school. 

When it comes to FMT and the 7 inch Simrad screen. I want to hear it from someone that has experience with it. I know the guys over at FMT recommend the 9 inch but i somewhat call BS. I believe the NEW Simrad GO7 XSE has a second port and a faster processor so there is no more lagging with the picture. The guys at FMT said that you could not put the charts for the whole start of Florida in the GO7 because it only has 1 port and it make it slower and what not but the XSE has a second port now. 

We never BS anyone.  We just provide the real truth so you can get what works the best.   If we told you the 9 is much better its because it is much better.  That is no BS.  Its  based on years of experience and tons of actual user feedback with it and our experience with it.  Most who get one end up switching to a larger machine within a year and almost all who have one agree it that it would be better on a larger display.   FMT runs on the 7" fine with no problems and no lagging and it is an acceptable picture.  There was never any lagging with any GO units.  It's certainly much better than any general reference optional chart you could choose to run in it but choosing a 7 is like purposely choosing to run your fancy sports car on K mart specials.  The Go7 is a  pain in the azz to run on the water if you run FMT with all of the pinching in and out all day of you can even get your fingers to make it do close what you want when you are running in chop.  And its hard to see because the screen is very tiny and the resolution is poor.  Even a 9" screen is only 4.25" from top to bottom and 8.25" side to side.  That is not very large and the 7 is much smaller than that.   The res is only 800x400 and the photos (although they look OK on the unit) are nowhere near as clean as they appear on the more capable machines.  It's quite a difference when you see it side by side. If it has to be a 7" unit which we never recommend,  the GO7 should be last on the list.  Any other 7" unit that runs the charts would be better.

An FMT chip for 1/2 of FL takes up over 30 GB of chip space.  If you are running around in SFL all day and want to keep your NFL chip booted up at the same time with all of its 32 GB also booted up, there is likely going to be some performance issues over the course of the day.  Why tax the machine's resources with 60+ gb of data booted up when you won't look at 1/2 of it all day?  The machine can boot a 32 GB chip and it does seem to run it fine.  But it was not originally conceived to be running a chip of that size let alone two of them.  It only has a single core processor.   So don't boot up both at the same time.  Leave the unused one in the slot without being clicked in and when you need it, click it in and boot it and unclick the other one.  FMT makes the largest size chip running in any Navico unit in the world that I am aware of.  Its probably about 10 gb more intense than the next closest size chip.  To cover all of FL, FMT takes up more than six times the storage space on a single chip than a Navionics Plat +.

If you get the Garmin, as far as I know all you can run is a G2 or G3 or another blue grey fuzzy chart they support.  Since the G3 was released, FMT sales have exploded.  Its one of the best things that could have happened to us.   Apparently, there are plenty of Garmin users who are thoroughly disappointed in the new Garmin charts and although they were holding out for G3, now that its out and they have seen it for themselves or read the reviews they are moving on.   There is a lot of those in SW Florida from Naples to Charlotte Harbor.  The initial reviews of G3 by inshore users are totally lackluster.  But the bluewater boaters like it fine and none of the Garmin shortcomings are on their radar at all because they never run where the charts have any issues. 

ISLA is on track to convert more than 1,000 Garmin users just this year all because of user dissatisfaction with the charts Garmin support. And we do get that as it is the latent reason the FMT product was developed in the first place.  Garmin didn't work for us either.  Now we convert more than 3 boaters every day who are happy to get a chart that actually delivers detail, accuracy and imagery that works.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, FMT Charting Group said:

We never BS anyone.  We just provide the real truth so you can get what works the best.   If we told you the 9 is much better its because it is much better.  That is no BS.  Its  based on years of experience and tons of actual user feedback with it and our experience with it.  Most who get one end up switching to a larger machine within a year and almost all who have one agree it that it would be better on a larger display.   FMT runs on the 7" fine with no problems and no lagging and it is an acceptable picture.  There was never any lagging with any GO units.  It's certainly much better than any general reference optional chart you could choose to run in it but choosing a 7 is like purposely choosing to run your fancy sports car on K mart specials.  The Go7 is a  pain in the azz to run on the water if you run FMT with all of the pinching in and out all day of you can even get your fingers to make it do close what you want when you are running in chop.  And its hard to see because the screen is very tiny and the resolution is poor.  Even a 9" screen is only 4.25" from top to bottom and 8.25" side to side.  That is not very large and the 7 is much smaller than that.   The res is only 800x400 and the photos (although they look OK on the unit) are nowhere near as clean as they appear on the more capable machines.  It's quite a difference when you see it side by side. If it has to be a 7" unit which we never recommend,  the GO7 should be last on the list.  Any other 7" unit that runs the charts would be better.

An FMT chip for 1/2 of FL takes up over 30 GB of chip space.  If you are running around in SFL all day and want to keep your NFL chip booted up at the same time with all of its 32 GB also booted up, there is likely going to be some performance issues over the course of the day.  Why tax the machine's resources with 60+ gb of data booted up when you won't look at 1/2 of it all day?  The machine can boot a 32 GB chip and it does seem to run it fine.  But it was not originally conceived to be running a chip of that size let alone two of them.  It only has a single core processor.   So don't boot up both at the same time.  Leave the unused one in the slot without being clicked in and when you need it, click it in and boot it and unclick the other one.  FMT makes the largest size chip running in any Navico unit in the world that I am aware of.  Its probably about 10 gb more intense than the next closest size chip.  To cover all of FL, FMT takes up more than six times the storage space on a single chip than a Navionics Plat +.

If you get the Garmin, as far as I know all you can run is a G2 or G3 or another blue grey fuzzy chart they support.  Since the G3 was released, FMT sales have exploded.  Its one of the best things that could have happened to us.   Apparently, there are plenty of Garmin users who are thoroughly disappointed in the new Garmin charts and although they were holding out for G3, now that its out and they have seen it for themselves or read the reviews they are moving on.   There is a lot of those in SW Florida from Naples to Charlotte Harbor.  The initial reviews of G3 by inshore users are totally lackluster.  But the bluewater boaters like it fine and none of the Garmin shortcomings are on their radar at all because they never run where the charts have any issues. 

ISLA is on track to convert more than 1,000 Garmin users just this year all because of user dissatisfaction with the charts Garmin support. And we do get that as it is the latent reason the FMT product was developed in the first place.  Garmin didn't work for us either.  Now we convert more than 3 boaters every day who are happy to get a chart that actually delivers detail, accuracy and imagery that works.  

I’m stuck on the FMT charts. I am more focused on the charts than anything else. Have you heard anything about the new GO XSE series ? It is supposed to be an improvement from the regular GO series. The only reason I’m not thinking about the GO9 is because of the price tag but if it is what it takes then I guess I’ll do more research on that one. I just don’t know how I feel about having such a big and expensive unit on such a small console. It might just look funny. I do have a windshield and what not so it could protect it from spray but even then.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Garmin are fine units. I am not going to bash them in anyway. I do hope in the future they will offer better inshore mapping for the guys like me that have been lifelong Garmin users. I fish the back country of Chokoloskee and Port of the Islands and it is not forgiving back there therefore the switch for me was the right move. I like my lower unit and would like to keep it.

Think about where you fish if you don’t need it for your area stick with the Garmin. If you want to go outside your comfort zone and explore more areas that you are apprehensive about going to then I would switch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ti2 is cheaper which is a plus. It has buttons which zoom in and out as fast as the wheel knob of the Simrad it is a moot point with the Go9 because there is no knob and you have to pinch the screen.  Ti2 is also touch screen and the menus, settings, and pages are the same as Simrad...it’s the same company that makes the two units.

The only difference is Simrad screen is glass and the Ti2 is plastic just like Garmin so resolution is ever so slightly better. I can’t justify the price on the Simrad when the Ti2 does everything for a lot less.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bernieNC said:

My question is when did this fine board become a place for companies to peddle their wares?

I would say the answer to that is the day the board was created.  It was created by a company and that company creates products for sale and it does serve as a marketing conduit for them although indirectly.  It seems to me this board is a place for MBG to peddle their wares among other benefits to all.

As for other companies besides the one that created the Forum, it's unavoidable as boaters use thousands of products and discuss them and ask lots of questions about them because they want to know whatever it is they are want to know.  To the extent that those questions are answered or responded to by fans, users or the mfg. themselves it is typically useful information for the person asking the question about what it is.  Answering questions that others ask about something looking for insights is not peddling or advertising or direct marketing .  It's just answering the questions.  To the extent that they are pointed to one place vs. another or one product vs another is usually a good thing.  If a mfg. weighs in if their product is being discussed that is also a good thing too as the information delivered in response to the question is correct rather than something else as is often the case.   In fact, it would probably be better if more. mfg. did that so consumers could get the correct information the first time about whatever it is they want to know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2019 at 9:21 PM, HoneyB said:

Is it me or are the guys that sell FMT a little Butt Hurt that Garmin is not begging them to let them on board. I mean I keep reading how Garmin says no thank you and they come here to yell Garmin sux everytime someone says gps. I’m glad that they have a great product and glad some guys here are buying units just to run FMT but for god sake you don’t have to be such a dick about Garmin products. I’m kinda sick of it. If your product was that good you would not need to spend more time taking about the gps units guys put on there boats than just kindly offering the great things FMT offers, 

I think Garmin might secretly be coming out with something even better. You know Garmin. Innovative as hell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe I can help get this back on track and answer the original question. I am an ex Garmin user of 20 years. They make a great product and I progressed up to the G3 vision chip. I still run a 7607 on my Maverick. I find Garmin very user friendly (that might be 20 years of experience with them) and up until I saw an FMT chip work would have never considered switching. I just replaced the 2 Garmin 740s I had on my Pathfinder with a Lowrance Carbon 12 inch. The Lowrance is more difficult to set up and use and Navico doesn't have anywhere near as good back up service and customer support. Again, that might be an experience issue. Navico is a little chicken *** with some things as well. If you go NEMA 2000 and want to track fuel consumption you need to buy a $100 kit, Garmin has it built in. I am not sure what else I have to buy as I am still just getting into it. I am still fooling with it but making progress like trying to twin my power pole to the unit so I can do away with the dash switch. Can't do it and Navico can't figure it out either. BOE Marine is a great go to resource on Navico products and right now the have the 12 in Carbon on sale.

Sorry for the long comment but when all is said and done when you crank up the Lowrance and jam in the FMT chip the images are fantastic and the routing is a game changer for guys who run skinny where they shouldn't. Agreed, it doesn't help much in home waters but if you travel it's a gotta have. Finally, I really like the pallet changes you can get on the Lowrance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Jorgerivadeneira said:

I think Garmin might secretly be coming out with something even better. You know Garmin. Innovative as hell. 

This is totally the case, but when, who knows. Garmin bought Navionics, so something is gonna happen. They will make a great chart or keep others from using Navionics. Either way, they will not make a product with the features of FMT, it takes time on the water to do that. If trails and sat imagery is what you want, FMT the way to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...