Fuel senders

I have a 1997 Hewes Redfisher 18 and i just removed the fuel sender. Bent the *** out of it... It seems to me like this sender was not designed to reach the bottom of the tank. The sender is also offset on the tank to the side and that is where the tank is angled so it is impossible for it to reach the bottom. Wanted to know what senders have you guys replaced your previous ones with. I was looking at WEMA but they are all straight with no "lever float" that could reach the bottom. 

12 hours ago, Jorgerivadeneira said:

I have a 1997 Hewes Redfisher 18 and i just removed the fuel sender. Bent the *** out of it... It seems to me like this sender was not designed to reach the bottom of the tank. The sender is also offset on the tank to the side and that is where the tank is angled so it is impossible for it to reach the bottom. Wanted to know what senders have you guys replaced your previous ones with. I was looking at WEMA but they are all straight with no "lever float" that could reach the bottom. 

Don't waste your time...they don't work.

Just fill your skiff with fuel, make a fairly long run and then re-fill it.

Calculate how many miles you ran, then calculate the MPG and estimate....

dc

• Like 1

I see it this way; If he knows the float does not go to the bottom of the tank, fill the tank all the way up and run it till the gauge reads empty then top the tank back off. If you know you have a 30 gallon tank but you only topped back off at say 25 gallons he can assume he has 5 gallons remaining in the tank when the gauge is on empty. Then he can divide the miles from the GPS by the gallons of fuel used which in this case would be 25 gallons. All depends on throttle use though!

• Like 1

I agree with Dino (WFF).  Is your fuel fill positioned where you can stick the tank?  My 1994 Action Craft had the fuel fill right above the middle of the tank, with a straight line of sight to the bottom of the tank.  It was great.  With the tank empty, I filled it 3 gallons at a time and carved notches at each 3 gallon increment on a stick made out of teak wood.  Best, most accurate fuel gauge I've ever used.  No fuel filling delays with that tank setup, like we hear about these days either - refueling time was fast as $#%@, lol.

• Like 1

I use my fuel flow on the gauges on my new engine and the hrs run.  My gauge has never been reliable enough to trust.  On the water I want trust ,especially if you go off shore. I hate to see private plane pilots leaving Key west without checking fuel levels to get to Ft Meyer that ditch in the Gulf from running out of fuel.  Any one going out on the water or flying should check exactly whats in the tank.

• 1 year later...

Hi Jorge,

What sending unit did you end up using and what size?  I'm currently looking at Moeller Swingarm rated for a 12" to 24" height gas tank.  They say to measure the inside of the tank, but that seems impossible with the off-center sending unit hole over the angled portion of the tank.  The outside measured 16" in the center.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:09 PM, Parker JL said:

Hi Jorge,

What sending unit did you end up using and what size?  I'm currently looking at Moeller Swingarm rated for a 12" to 24" height gas tank.  They say to measure the inside of the tank, but that seems impossible with the off-center sending unit hole over the angled portion of the tank.  The outside measured 16" in the center.

I got a moeller reed type and it works well. Ended up with 6” that way it leaves a little reserve fuel in the tank. Mine is in a 18’ Light Tackle

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2019 at 6:48 PM, Jorgerivadeneira said:

Update. 

Put in a new fuel sender. Gauge works flawlessly once again. 

Hey Jorge. Do you know which Moeller did you put? I bought one that is 2 pieces and it’s not reading correctly. If you have a part number that would be great. Thanks