No signal at tach, not making power. Rectifier? 98 200 vmax

smboudreaux

Couple issues recently popped up. The motor is a 98 200 vmax. Less than 6 hours on a new powerhead. Recently rewired the boat. Running on my driveway the tach worked fine. The day I put it in the water, the tach didn't work and the boat isn't making power. Really sluggish to get up. If I had to guess it only made 3500 rpm maybe. when running the volt meter dropped hard when I hit the trim. I cleaned the carbs, changed the plugs, no help. Changed the stator and the pulser coil. Still no signal on the tach wire. I wont be able to but it on the water till Monday. I'm feeling these problems are related. I have a rectifier to change next. Any help would be appreciated.

I definitely suspect the rectifier.  I had the same problem and it was caused by the pee hole being plugged up.  There is a water jacket that is attached to the back of the rectifier to keep it cool and mine got plugged and I didn't notice in time obviously.  I didn't know about the water jacket until I tore into it.  My motor is a 2001 but yours is probably similar.

Archived