TM Battery set up

Limitless

I've been wrestling with whether to put a new 55# thrust 12 volt or a 70# thrust 24 volt on my '04 16' Redfisher.  Most recs are to do the 24V to ensure it will hold in hard current.  The boat has an old MinnKota 55# on it know and the TM motor and the house batteries are mounted in the forward part of the console.  So my question is - rather than putting the current TM battery and a new one in the forward compartment, would it work to leave the TM battery in the console and use the existing wire to the TM there now to wire a new battery placed in the forward compartment in series with the one in the console to get 24V to the TM?  Or since I have a 115 Yamaha on the boat and she is heavy in the stern, should I just give up space and put both in the forward compartment?  I appreciate any suggestions. 

BTW, I was looking at going Rhodan but the 24V is about $500 more than the Minn Kota.  As Capt. Dewalt would say "That's a lot of dang live shrimp"

I would rig the batteries up as close together as possible, if for not other reason than the leads on the battery charger having a finite length. On the Hewes, I would also leave the weight off the bow if possible, but I believe in doing that in all boats, for the most part. If you have the room for three batteries in the console, go for it. If not, I would (room permitting) look at relocating the cranking/house battery. If that's not an option, keep them together and put them in the forward compartment.....

Thanks guys.  I can use the 2 batteries in the console for the TM and put a new cranking battery in the rear starboard compartment.  I'll try that first and see how it works out.  With the 115 Yamaha it will squat a little more but the trim tabs can mitigate that hopefully.  I'd still like to hear other thoughts. 

20 hours ago, lurem said:

I have always wondered when adding batteries in the redfisher 16 why not mount all 3 under the flip up seat? The starting battery would be moved forward to reduce squat at rest?

yes, with the smaller batteries it can be done....a high CCM small battery will crank a 115 hp easily all day long.

dc

On 4/27/2019 at 8:34 AM, Limitless said:

Thanks guys.  I can use the 2 batteries in the console for the TM and put a new cranking battery in the rear starboard compartment.  I'll try that first and see how it works out.  With the 115 Yamaha it will squat a little more but the trim tabs can mitigate that hopefully.  I'd still like to hear other thoughts. 

just move it all at one time.

Archived