Hyd. Steering Leak

fin-addict

Took the boat out for a nice cruise this morning. Noticed a very slight fluid leak where the steering helm base meets the console. Any ideas or what should I be looking for to cause this leak. Has never leaked before. Did not look in the console to check the helm, but did not notice any fluid on the floor of the console. Help appreciated, finūüėÄ

38 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

There is a vent/fill on top of the helm.  Look close to see if it is weeping there. 

38 minutes ago, smilemaker said:

There is a vent/fill on top of the helm.  Look close to see if it is weeping there. 

Looked at fill cap, dry as a bone. It is non vented as I have an upper station and it is my understanding that fill cap IS vented. Going to check that cap. Been reading up, appears, I hope it is only the helm shaft seal on the lower helm. Understand is an easy fix, I hope. Does this sound about right for cause of leak. Thanks 

Had the same issue on my offshore boat recently, hydraulic fluid was getting on my center console. Had the helm shaft seal replaced, fixed the problem. Comes in a kit, nut, seal, plate and if I remember correctly 3 screws for the plate. No big deal but you have to remove the wheel and I think it takes two people to bleed the air out of the system when you're done replacing the seal. It's pretty common, especially on boats that sit in direct sunlight all the time, the heat causes expansion and contraction of the helm and kills the seal. Never had this issue on my Mav though.

Archived