Jack plate prop PF 2200

BlazerAL

‘04 PF 2200V F150, added a bob’s 6” and have experimented with multiple props. Finally landed on an OFX-17 4 blade and I am not happy with this wheel either. WOT at 5300 was around 40 mph... not a happy camper!!!!! I am at an impasse here now and am ready to either can the jack plate and go back to the original setup or possibly put a 25” shaft F150 in her place.. anyone been down that rabbit hole? after 3 props and a bunch of $$$ with no results I am pissed off/frustrated to say the least.. input welcomed.... rant complete, well, vent maybe..

When I put the jack plate on the boat, it raised the motor abut 1 1/2 to 2” and I am constantly blowing out in corners... so I tried the OFX - 17... fixed the corners and now runs crap top end.. was able to run 48-50 mph with a 3 blade before the JP was added.... down to 40 now is not really in my wheel house..

BlazerAL,

Let’s take a deep breath, I sense your frustration!

My PF was the first time I had a JP to play with. I do have a different hull type/motor combo, but I drove myself nuts trying to match the PF/Yamaha performance bulletins. I tried many props.

Then a friend set me straight.......He told me prop the boat with the JP all the way down, all the time. Do not use the JP to enhance speed, ease of turns, etc. You can use engine trim a little, and if you have hull trim tabs, leave them up all the time. ( If your JP install raised the motor from the factory setup ((in the down position)), that could contribute to your massive change).

Then, I started over, called PropTech, got a dealer name to loan me a Marcus recommended prop for a single run (return in as-new condition). I tried two props and settled on the first. I knew that the tests were apples and apples, and operator error was not a factor. Got the numbers I was looking for, and close, but not identical to the bulletin.

Finally, do not use a prop shop to modify (pitch change) a prop to dial it in. These modern props are Swiss watches and few, if any shops, can tweak a PowerTech without screwing it up.

A JP is designed to give motor clearance only, not enhance or change performance.(although it will change performance, from my experience for the worse)

Hope this helps.

i’d remove the jackplate all together.  I had a 2005 year model 2200v.  it originally had a jackplate.  i think it performed a lot better when i took it off.  also the OFX 4 was the ticket for that hull.  mine had the 20” shaft 200 hpdi.  I believe wannaflats fish. fish had your same hull with an F150 that he got dialed in about as good as one can do with that set up.  Seems like he had a youtube video of it one time talking about the performance.  ping him

Could I assume the 48 to 50mph was with about a 19 pitch three blade prop? 50mph on a 22 foot boat with a 150 seems pretty strong. What were you looking to gain from the jack plate? 

If you decided to keep the jack plate could you drill new holes to mount it lower? 

Set up 4" set back bobs after having the prop done on a set up close to what you were running ( Older Heaver Hull) 175 E-Tech. first I was overly aggressive in the motor height and was suffering blowouts, dropped the motor 1 hole, Prop was a 3 blade PT PTC 3R 19 which produced #'s 45/46 Full fuel and loaded, Lighter on fuel 48/49 more or less selected this prop for mid range running of 35 to 40. It did help on fuel and a small bit of speed. I almost sounds like the OFX geometry may be too aggressive for the engine, the OFS is a bit less aggressive, do you still have the three blade that pushed the boat to the 47/50 MPH range? if so go back to basics of what worked on the prop not a bad thing, most of the folks I know that run a 4 blade on a 150-175 motor have lost top end for the hole shot

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

Could I assume the 48 to 50mph was with about a 19 pitch three blade prop? 50mph on a 22 foot boat with a 150 seems pretty strong. What were you looking to gain from the jack plate? 

If you decided to keep the jack plate could you drill new holes to mount it lower? 

It was indeed with a 19 pitch prop. It is an ‘04 Hull, so the weight is significantly lower than the newer hulls, 1350lbs if I recall. I wish I could lower the JP, but the drains align with the plate, only leaving about 3/8” clearance...

My boat slows way down once I get the jack plate up above 1.75 - 2". If you think about the jack plate as the fulcrum, the lower unit as the lever, and the hull as the load....You lose leverage on the hull when you raise the jack plate. I use the jack plate to get out of shallow water and of course there is a sweet spot for speed, but often times it's not 4" up. Some boats/props like a little air, and when the JP is that high, the prop is surfacing a blade or two....and it's hell on a prop at 6,000 rpm.

And last of all, if you're looking for speed, I think you need to look outside of the PowerTech line of props. They make a good wheel, but they tend to leave some speed on the table.

4 hours ago, redzone1 said:

I believe wannaflats fish. fish had your same hull with an F150 that he got dialed in about as good as one can do with that set up.  Seems like he had a youtube video of it one time talking about the performance.  ping him

Yes,

4 blade OFX 18, ported 3/8 from Power Tech....go to the website of PT Props and my video is there.....

OP- you are not going to get the same results with a 3 blade vs 4 blade with a JP - My top end with OFX 4 blade was 42-45 with the wind...but, what a hole shot :)

compromises, comprises....BTW, how fast do you really want to go?  40+ mph is not fast enough in shallow water?  To each their own...but, high speed and shallow water to me don't mix.

dc

23 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Yes,

4 blade OFX 18, ported 3/8 from Power Tech....go to the website of PT Props and my video is there.....

OP- you are not going to get the same results with a 3 blade vs 4 blade with a JP - My top end with OFX 4 blade was 42-45 with the wind...but, what a hole shot :)

compromises, comprises....BTW, how fast do you really want to go?  40+ mph is not fast enough in shallow water?  To each their own...but, high speed and shallow water to me don't mix.

dc

There are some of us on here that like to go fast and set up there boats to get the max potential. I did not see where the OP posted that he wanted to go high speed in shallow water. 

When is 150 HP not a 150 HP?

I can use that as a joke at the sandbar, answer when it's a 4 stroke! haha

Brad M-you have a double negative with 4 stroke and 4 blade prop! haha

The easy suggestion would be - remove the jack plate, because your hull/transom was not designed with a jack plate in mind at conception.  However, if you feel like going a little further with the experiment, you could try installing the TH Marine/CMC 2.5" setback spacer kit, which would compensate for the additional 1.5" to 2" of built-in height that came with the jack plate.  I installed this on my boat because the additional height of the JP caused blowout in turns and general loss of grip.  The setback spacers have multiple hole height choices on the transom side, so you can mount at the top hole and lower your motor about 1".  That along with the additional setback would put your motor about even with original height before the JP was added.  I was able to gain 1 mph over what it did before the JP, with better slip numbers, and better grip in turns.  IMHO, mounting the JP as low as possible on any transom is better because you can utilize more of its potential, with 5" to 6" of upward travel possible.  For me, a jack plate is not just for idling shallow 😉  Hope this helps.

CMC 2-1/2" Static Set Back Plate 65213

THmarine_CMC_65213-static-setback-jack-plate.jpg

THmarine_CMC_65213-static-setback-jack-plate2.jpg

Thanks AL.  Here's what my setup looked like after installation.  I have removed the wedge since then because it was not needed, and drilled a new set of holes in the setback spacers, to drop the motor even lower.  Unique to my setup and would most likely not be needed on yours, with the Bob's JP.

Atlas_JP2.jpg

Atlas_JP3.jpg

Atlas_JP5.jpg

Archived