21 MA Speaker options?

SWFL21

Hey guys, looking at spiffing up my boat before summer hits up here in the cold north. - yes the same boat that I was considering selling a few weeks ago! 

Looking at some new speakers, id like 4... So far I know I can fit 2 in the console, and am trying to decide if I can fit 2 more up on the fwd bulkhead facing aft. The other option is cutting out some of the tub of the rod lockers (wiring would be a whole lot easier there id imagine) 

Anyone done this? 

Second question - In terms of batteries, I have 2 12v in series for my trolling motor, and a 12v dual purpose for my start/accessories. Is it a horrible idea to put the amp on my starter battery? 

Id mostly be blasting music while running, so I think the alternator would be able to keep pace-ish. Im not quite sure where id add another battery too... 

Thoughts would be great! 

Thanks 

Hey SW21, I have a 21 MA and have 4 JL 7.7’s, 2 in each side of my rod lockers facing in.  I have 3 batts and run the amp off of my cranking batt and never had a problem with running out of juice and I usually run my live well all day as well as my chart plotter.

The JL’s sound amazing and you can hear clear as a bell while running.  I think the rod lockers act somewhat like a large speaker box and improve the sound.  I hope this helps.  Good luck

Thats exactly what I was looking for!! Assuming 1 set forward and 1 set back by the bench seat? 

What kind of amp do you have? I can justify the JL speaker cost, but their amps are $$$ 

Also, how hard was it to run the speaker wire to your amp from the rod locker? 

I have one set up front on either side of the cooler seat “shin high” and the same in the rear right in front of the bench seat.  I wanted all speakers firing in so that you could hear clearly while running.  My last boat had console speakers and were fine while sitting but you couldn’t hear anything while underway.  I was a little leary running the amp off of my starting batt but have never had a single issue.  I do have my trolling batts hooked to my main switch and can jump off of those in a pinch.  It is really easy to wire.  There is a round access panel inside your console and you can run your wires through there to either side of the boat.  Once you cut your holes in the lockers, there is a void between the inner and outer wall that goes straight down to the bottom of the hull where your wires are.  

I have 4 JL MX770’s (couldn’t justify the m770’s and can’t imagine it being any louder than it is) and a 400/4 JL amp that I picked up here used for $300.  I think a new one is $425???

If I ever do it again on another boat it will be 4 8.8’s and a 600/4 for a little added base.  

I have qty 4 8" Pioneers.  All four in the console (I'll take a pic if you need).  The holes were there when I bought the boat and since they are mounted below the gunnel height the sound travels really well throughout the boat.  I run them off a 250watt Rockford Fosgate punch.  My amp is mounted in the seat hatch and is wired thru my battery switch to my cranking battery.  Never have an issue starting (One of my troller batteries acts as a back up crank just in case). 

I have always been a JL guy but my budget couldn't swing it when I bought this 21, but I'm pretty pleased with the pioneers so far.  Def not JL's but pretty decent for a budget speaker.

Awesome awesome, thanks gents! 

Im pretty set on JL speakers... Was thinking a set of 6.5's and a set of 7.7's, but I might just do 2 sets of 7.7's?

I think ill go with a set up forward in the rod lockers, and a set on the sides of the hatch/seat of the console. Probably also keeping the amp in the console, also putting a new battery charger in at the same time, so maybe I can craft up a bracket for the both of them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I now have everything I need to install, 4 mx770's, a mhd600/4 (thanks CG RYAN), and a JL puck bluetooth receiver.

Its been rainy and overcast here on Nantucket so I havent had a chance to finalize where ill put the speakers and amp, deciding between facing aft behind the crustacean well and fwd storage, or facing in from the front of the rod lockers. A set will go inside the console regardless, probably under the seat portion.

Im listening to any last recommendations to why I SHOULDNT put them in any of those places :P

On 5/28/2019 at 6:35 PM, SWFL21 said:

Well I now have everything I need to install, 4 mx770's, a mhd600/4 (thanks CG RYAN), and a JL puck bluetooth receiver.

Its been rainy and overcast here on Nantucket so I havent had a chance to finalize where ill put the speakers and amp, deciding between facing aft behind the crustacean well and fwd storage, or facing in from the front of the rod lockers. A set will go inside the console regardless, probably under the seat portion.

Im listening to any last recommendations to why I SHOULDNT put them in any of those places :P

Hey neighbor! 05 Pathy, Sandwich MA. Last year I went with Simrad Evo 2 MFD and SonicHub 2. I put the included Lowrance 6" speakers in rod holder boxes end panels facing aft. Very easy, great sound all speeds anywhere in boat! Do you have the correct sized holesaw? PM me if needed.

Hoping to splash this weekend and for summer here or something other than rain, fog, 50s, and small craft advisories!!  

2 minutes ago, SKINNY DIPPIN said:

Hey neighbor! 05 Pathy, Sandwich MA. Last year I went with Simrad Evo 2 MFD and SonicHub 2. I put the included Lowrance 6" speakers in rod holder boxes end panels facing aft. Very easy, great sound all speeds anywhere in boat! Do you have the correct sized holesaw? PM me if needed.

Hoping to splash this weekend and for summer here or something other than rain, fog, 50s, and small craft advisories!!  

Ah howdy! Ever come out to Nantucket? Its been super cold for this Florida boy! But once the sun starts to show then Ill be happy.

I was planning on using a jigsaw for the speaker holes, unless youd advise against? Havent even looked at hole saws of that size ahaha.

19 minutes ago, SWFL21 said:

I would strongly advise using holesaw, cuts perfect circle without chipping. I have up to 5.5" if that helps. Can send over if needed. 

Used to work on AUK often as GC. Now typically come for day trip a couple times per yr and annual doormat fluke fishing trips 😁

4 hours ago, SKINNY DIPPIN said:

I would strongly advise using holesaw, cuts perfect circle without chipping. I have up to 5.5" if that helps. Can send over if needed. 

Used to work on AUK often as GC. Now typically come for day trip a couple times per yr and annual doormat fluke fishing trips 😁

I think the 7.7 JL's call for a 6.25" hole, ill let you know though! Thanks.

Holler if youre ever over here and ill be sure to get you out on the water! I work on the water every day, but no fishing involved so I need my fix!