need recommendations

redzone1

i live on a golf course lake that is loaded with fish.  i have been noticing the bluegill feeding heavily on bugs on the surface at dusk.  i’m thinking i want to try my hand at fly fishing.  i’ve never made a fly cast in my life.  i don’t know what rod length line weight etc.  what would you recommend for a beginning for casting to freshwater panfish?   

22 hours ago, redzone1 said:

i live on a golf course lake that is loaded with fish.  i have been noticing the bluegill feeding heavily on bugs on the surface at dusk.  i’m thinking i want to try my hand at fly fishing.  i’ve never made a fly cast in my life.  i don’t know what rod length line weight etc.  what would you recommend for a beginning for casting to freshwater panfish?   

Anything from a 4 wt (ideal) to a 7 wt will work fine.   But a word of warning, you are daring to sample the gateway drug.   $10k worth of equipment later, when you are sipping scotch with your pinky extended and reading high brow literature by a fire, remember that I warned you . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3