Jump to content

Reel Maintenance


MuddyBottomBluz

Recommended Posts

  I have been procrastinating about getting my reel maintenance done, however I will be doing some serious fishing in June in the keys so the time is here! What oil do you guy's use, how often, do you loosen the drag when rod not in use. Do you actually open up the body of the reel and lube gears? Any information on additional little things you do would be appreciated. Like most I prefer to use them, not maintain them and I know this will come back to bite me in the @$$ one day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loosen the drags on all my reels when not in use. As far as reel maintenance and ashamed too say, all I do is a rinse off after using and a wipe down. Never had a reel failure yet and some reels like my Quantum Irons both spin and conventional are 20 years old and still performs and look like new. Same as rods. Hurricane Redbones on all my setups.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use Shimano Bantam Oil.  You may still have the schematics that came in the box with the reels---they have all of the information you need.  Remove the spool and clean it.  Clean the exterior of the reel.  Clean the line roller assembly and make sure the bearing or bushing is not worn and needs replacing.  Lightly oil the assembly.  Remove the handle assembly and lightly oil.  Some reels also have a "maintenance port"--if so, take the screw out and put a drop or two of oil in there.  Oil the bail arm assembly.  You're done!  I always tighten the drag before rinsing with low pressure fresh water, dry the reel and rod, and then loosen the drag--never store the reel with a tight drag.  I also use Lemon Pledge on the rod and reel after drying.  Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i use almost all shimano baitcast reels with the exception of 3 ABU's and 1 Diawa. i do a total tear down once a year. a light rinse after every use and light spray of Reel Magic. about every 3rd or 4th use, i'll remove the spool and clean the shaft. my reels are all 15 plus years old and still kickin. my spincast reels get the same treatment, but not near as much use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the most part I let each reel dictate how often and it depends on the reel type most spinners are pretty immune from getting water inside conventionals are most susceptible usually.   My Higher end conventionals (Trinidad / Tranx 500) never need a full tear down because they are so well protected from water intrusion so every 3rd or 4th year I take them down and replace the grease.  A smaller tranx I have requires a tear down once a year due to water getting in around the pinion bearing.  On my spinners I oil all the pivot points almost every trip... like the bail, roller bearing etc... I never go inside my spinners unless there are some symptoms of a problem

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All good points. I never really understood the loosen the drag thing. I use to do it, forgot to tighten it one time and lost a nice fish because of it and now I don't do it anymore. Finchaser, you make a good point, let the reel tell you when you need to go into it.

Big Dave, explain the lemon pledge thing? Doesn't the oils from it get on the line and prevent bites from the odor. I only used pledge to remove roofing tar from my hands, if it can do that I don't think fish would like it too much?

  I will review what paperwork I have for the reels however I was given some BG's and other reels I have nothing on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

All good points. I never really understood the loosen the drag thing. I use to do it, forgot to tighten it one time and lost a nice fish because of it and now I don't do it anymore. Finchaser, you make a good point, let the reel tell you when you need to go into it.

Big Dave, explain the lemon pledge thing? Doesn't the oils from it get on the line and prevent bites from the odor. I only used pledge to remove roofing tar from my hands, if it can do that I don't think fish would like it too much?

  I will review what paperwork I have for the reels however I was given some BG's and other reels I have nothing on.

Disc can warp if left tight and not used for a while. The result is a drag that surges when a fish makes a run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, D-linesider said:

Disc can warp if left tight and not used for a while. The result is a drag that surges when a fish makes a run.

  Does this still hold true for today's components. I know that reels years ago used drag washers that would crack, warp, etc. But with today's technology I would think they would have found something more durable, or am I wishing for too much?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No It doesnt.... loosening the drag was from back when the drag washers were cork, leather or other non synthetic material.  Your not going to hurt carbon fiber drag washers used today, that said no harm in backing them off, except when you forget to put it back to its proper setting on the next outing and  you loose a fish cause the drag slipped so much you didnt stick the hook.  Only time I back mine off is on the reels where its literally cranked as tight as itll go

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thing... shimano doesnt recommend pouring water directly on the reel... they rec using a wet rag to wipe it down.  Theory is even light pressure water will push contaminants and even water into the reel / components.  Since Ive started doing this Ive found that the reels that I was having issues with has decreased alot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, MuddyBottomBluz said:

  Does this still hold true for today's components. I know that reels years ago used drag washers that would crack, warp, etc. But with today's technology I would think they would have found something more durable, or am I wishing for too much?

Good question that I don’t know the answer to. I loosen all of mine when I put them away but I have been doing that for 25 years. My Father in law recently gave me three Diawa Emblem -X reels that he obviously left the drag tight on when he was not using them. First time a fish pulled some drag I couldn’t help but laugh at how bad it was. There again I have no idea how old those reels or the technology in them is. I am a Shimano guy so I know very little about the reels he gave me other than they appear to be brand new.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2019 at 2:35 PM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

All good points. I never really understood the loosen the drag thing. I use to do it, forgot to tighten it one time and lost a nice fish because of it and now I don't do it anymore. Finchaser, you make a good point, let the reel tell you when you need to go into it.

Big Dave, explain the lemon pledge thing? Doesn't the oils from it get on the line and prevent bites from the odor. I only used pledge to remove roofing tar from my hands, if it can do that I don't think fish would like it too much?

  I will review what paperwork I have for the reels however I was given some BG's and other reels I have nothing on.

First, with respect to loosening the drag for storage:  a tight drag can compress the drag washers (even the "modern" ones).  This can also cause the drag washers to flatten over time, stick in place and become ineffective.  Loosening them after cleaning and drying will relax the washers and increase the longevity. Second, I like the Lemon Pledge because it seems to provide a bit more protection to both the reel and rod.  I run the rag through the guides as well.  I do try to limit spray on the line, but I really don't think the "lemony" smell ever limited my ability to catch fish.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need to use oil and grease.  Oil is for bearings and grease is for gears and shafts.  WD40 is useless for reel maintenance and so are maintenance ports.  They need to be at least partially disassembled to do it right.  I just did 15 Shimano spinning reels this winter and I could go through about two an hour completely taking them apart, replacing bad parts, cleaning, and doing the drag washers.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Vapor Trail said:

You need to use oil and grease.  Oil is for bearings and grease is for gears and shafts.  WD40 is useless for reel maintenance and so are maintenance ports.  They need to be at least partially disassembled to do it right.  I just did 15 Shimano spinning reels this winter and I could go through about two an hour completely taking them apart, replacing bad parts, cleaning, and doing the drag washers.

 

You're hired!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...