A tale of two companies (one is powerpole)

localangler

Today I had the fun times of my transducer having an issue. Well, I had purchased it at West Marine (price matched and their +2 warranty).  Went it and after a bit of discussion (putting it mildly, nothing harsh just not what I expected) I was informed they would replace it.  But you can't buy a total scan transducer separately (uh their website says you can and another west marine store had one in stock).  After almost an hour I get out with the new parts and a new MDF too. They made it far more difficult than it needed to be, I'm leaving out lots of stuff.

Then after I put the boat to bed I called power pole about a new spike.  I have a really old power pole and wanted to make sure I ordered the right one. Two minutes into the conversation and he says I'll mail you a new one.  What? No how did you break it (my fault on it), you know that antique belongs in a museum or anything else, just a new part is on the way. Just for clarification the spike was broken back in March, I just hadn't ordered the part because I wasn't sure of which model I had. I know I said above no damage to anything around the transducer and that was old damage not from today. 

Now I know why one company is upward bound and the other is not. Now if I can just find 2 blades that are free to a good home to replace my artifact lol

NO doubt JJ!! Had an issue with my "old clunker" 6' pole, drove the 20 minutes to their shop/HQ in Tampa, went over the problem and told them what I thought it was. The PP Rep says hang on a minute, comes back with the new part and after some basic paperwork I ask him "how much $$", he smiles and tells me to get out of here and go home and fix it! 

I hate West Marine--try to shop at BOW instead as much as possible.  WM's prices are astronomical, and it's difficult to find anyone who knows what they're doing.  This episode put me over the edge several years ago.  I had a 90 hp two-stroke and needed oil.  Went to WM.  Price for a gallon was more than price for 4 quarts.  I tried to explain the math to a sales clerk--he looked at me like I was doing Chinese algebra.  So I asked for a manager.  He checked the prices and said, "Yep, that's right!".  I said--but it doesn't make sense, does it?  Price per gallon should be at most the same as price for 4 quarts.  He seemed to agree but could care less and said there was nothing he could do about it.  I promptly left the store and went up the road to BOW where I got a gallon for probably 25% less than the gallon price at WM.  Jeeeze.  

6 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

Power Pole customer service is absolutely the BEST in the marine industry.

I would go a step farther and say ANY industry! I can't think of anyone that treats their customers as good as PP.  I almost feel bad when I have an issue cause I know free parts will be at my door the next day. I wouldn't mind paying shipping or something but that's not how they roll. I almost now have a brand new 10' pp from previous problems for nothing. In fact they usually ship more parts than you need to fix your problem. Ask me how I know. Wish others were half as a good. 

1 hour ago, localangler said:

It was part of a bundle but why trash a MDF when you have a transducer available, and local at that.  Guess that is their corporate mentality. 

And now I know why everyone loves the PP customer service 

I work for a large manufacturer. Processes may be in place which may make it difficult for the distributor to get credit for the return if it’s just one component of a sku which includes multiple items. 

3 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

I would go a step farther and say ANY industry! I can't think of anyone that treats their customers as good as PP.  I almost feel bad when I have an issue cause I know free parts will be at my door the next day. I wouldn't mind paying shipping or something but that's not how they roll. I almost now have a brand new 10' pp from previous problems for nothing. In fact they usually ship more parts than you need to fix your problem. Ask me how I know. Wish others were half as a good. 

The only other company I’ve dealt with that was as good as Power Pole was Bennett Trim Tabs. They have always taken care of me above and beyond what their warranty was. 

Archived