the most abrasive resistant leader

dabear

I've used 15# red Power Pro with 30# pink Yo-Zuri fluoro for snook, reds, trout & trips on all my Stradic 3000 & Stradic 2500 combos for over 10 years. Uni-to-Uni connection, always. I fish arti's 95% of the time and luckily have had very few failures. 

Joe R, I do a lot of snook fishing and in the past have gone with a few guides out of Choko.  They said anything below 40lbs is a waste of time and usually go to 50# Floro.  I also do a lot of dock fishing when the time is right and use extra heavy bait casting rods with the  afore mentioned leader and still have times when I get broken off. I actually got a big fish out from the docks and broke off at the boat.  I love how they fight,but you have to take a gun to the fight ,no knives. BTW I don't really think the brand is going to make the difference,it the size that matters.  lol 

My drag is set with ankle weight at 5 lbs half of the 10 lb line and a quarter of the leader . Been setting drags on the lite side for years because I can apply pressure to the spool as a last resort if needed as a last effort to get one out of the bushes . Looks like I need to up my leader size some more thanks so much for the suggestions. I will keep increasing leader size in small steps until I see better results . I dont want to continue bringing a knife to a gun fight like polliwog said . Next trip out I am going with a 25 - 30 and 35 set up to see what will work best for me . I need to see how big I can go before I see a noticeable drop off in bites but still want to get a picture before releasing them . Are you guys getting better performance from a certain brand ?   Thanks again for all the suggestions. Joe R 

24 minutes ago, dabear said:

My drag is set with ankle weight at 5 lbs half of the 10 lb line and a quarter of the leader . Been setting drags on the lite side for years because I can apply pressure to the spool as a last resort if needed as a last effort to get one out of the bushes . 

FYI 5 lbs would not be considered “lite” for 10 lb line. Most suggest setting 1/3 to 1/2 breaking strength so in your case 5lbs would be high. But what the heck your issues are with the leader not the running line. Just saying.

I agree with linesider about Seaguar vs Berkeley, I will add that I would use at least 20 lb braid the diameter won't hurt your cast  enough to offset the benefit of less chance to break off.  If you're in the mangroves or docks you need all the advantage you can get, on the beach not so much.  You can handle a 20in snook with out gearing up,BUT if you get into 35-40 inchers it's a whole different game. Have fun and kick some butt.

Archived