For all you prop junkies put there . . .

whichwaysup

Okay prop junkies, would be curious about your thoughts on this.  I have been really happy with my current prop on my 150 vmax OX66 and 18 MA combo.   I was seeing mid 50s consistently and was happy with overall performance.   It has been so long since I ran it that I cant recall the RPM but I know I was at or over my max RPM WOT.    It is a stiletto 14x19 of unknown hours and age.

My only issue has been blow out in turns.  Any sharp turn in a creek and I am white knuckling it hoping to get enough bite to make it (you know, because dropping the throttle isnt an option ;) )  

So I took my prop in to get worked on.   You can see the before and after, but it is pretty clear in the before graph (and his comments to me) that the three fins were pretty far out of alignment.   What UIam curious about is why, in the after reading, they are still relatively far off.  I didmt have time to ask at the time.   

Any thoughts from anyone out there?

20190608_154846.jpg

20190608_154834.jpg

20190608_154803.jpg

20190608_154748.jpg

Pretty neat readout. It does not seem that far off to my untrained eye. I think most props are off when the come from any manufacture, heck my last prop was from Mercury Racing that was supposed to be balanced and all that jazz and one of the four blades was off a whole 1" in pitch!  There is a reason some send off a brand new prop they just spent some coin on to spend more $$$ to have the balance and blueprinted.

Like Mulligan - I like the readout.  If Forest Gump was a prop junkie like me, he would probably say "props are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get".  I've bought a few props in the last couple years (Merc, Yamaha and Solas), and sorry to say, the finish quality and balance has been off more than on.  IMHO, if you get a new factory prop that is smooth/balanced and works well out of the box, hold onto it because you're one of the lucky ones.  Gus, I'll be anxious to hear how your prop holds in turns after the work that was done.  I have a new 3-blade that's doing the same thing - great performance and fuel economy in a straight line, but blowing out badly in turns.  Please keep us posted, when you finally get to splash your newly restored MA!

Geeviam and mulligan nailed it. There were some changes in management at merc racing propellers and it seems since then it's really easy to get one that isn't perfect on all blades. I've sent them back with casting flaws, out of round, etc. 

I ran a stiletto on my lt20 and grip was not its strength, so I'm interested to see how it does now that you had it worked

Archived