New England MA21

Thought I’d share with you my 2001 MA21. I’ve had the boat for 9yrs now. Bought it from a friend (original owner) with 80hrs on it!! Original motor was a Yamaha Vmax HPDI 175. New motor is a 2018 SHO 225. The torque on this engine is incredible!! Had the transom completely rebuilt and beefed up by Mike Parkington who is the best glass guy in New England!! Tested 8 props and ended going with a Mercury Bravo I - XS 24”. Haven’t done any light load speed runs with it yet, but with the Bravo I - XS 23”, we saw 64mph and hit the rev limiter (fairly light load - 15gal fuel, 1 battery). 

So, decided to go with the 24” Bravo. Current stats - with 3/4 tank of gas, trolling motor, 4 heavy duty blue tops, tons of tackle and 2 adults - hit 62 with the 24”. That’s a ton of weight and never checked the rpms as this was not a planned run!! Haha!!

I also run a Merc Rev4 - 21”. Even though our top end was 62mph at 5900rpm (light load) the mid range has exceptional punch!! Hole shot is amazing.

Gotta tell ya. The Merc 4blades (Rev4 / Bravo) were the only props that gave us good bow lift. All 3 blade props except for the Merc Mirage 15” diameter - 21p was the only 3 blade that was impressive, but still only gave us 62mph at 6000rpm (not enough lift). Bottom line, Bravo I - 24” is the best overall performer I tested. I am very happy with this prop and if the numbers are good, may even go with a 25”. I will post them after we get through this humidity (sept/October). 

AA1FC8BF-0CC3-4325-A929-E5531E21E6D6.jpeg

5AEBA276-4EA8-4C6D-81C2-71817CFEFFA4.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks!! 

I went with a transom mount for a couple of reasons. I do a lot of sight fishing in shallow water. If I’m not poling, I’m using the motor with a long swiveled tiller handle that allows me to stand on the platform, positioning the boat at all times. Works very well and if cautious, does not spook fish!! I would love to have a motor on the bow, but too much of an obstruction with fly line. If I spin fished only, I would have one for sure. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...