1996 Mirage w yamaha f70 repower.

• 6 months later...

I have a 2001  HPX-V that I just re-powered with an F70.  I run a 15 pitch 4 blade SCD PT prop.  Excellent hole shot with 3 people.  Almost flat hole shot with tabs all the way down.  By myself with light load I can turn 6300 at 37mph.  With 3 people and fishing equipment, I can turn about 5900-6000 and 33-35 mph (I don't remember for sure.)  I run very light.  No bait, no anchor, no ice, minimal  equipment other than flies and safety equopment.

I had a Yamaha 2 stroke 90 that was 17 years old.  I got right at 5mpg with the 2 stroke.  I am getting between 7 and 8 with the 70, but I have been running pretty hard.  If I can keep rpm's around 4100, I think I can get close to 9.  

The 70 does not have the uumph getting up that the 90 did. With a Power Tech SCD, 15 pitch 4 blade prop on the 70 I come out of the hole fine.  With tabs down, it is almost a flat holeshot.  This is with 3 people.  Other than three people, I run very light.  Marcus recommended a 3 blade, 14 pitch NRS prop, but a friend is letting me use this one for awhile.  When I sell the props that were on my 90, I will give the 3 blade prop a try.

Top end with my current set up is about 36-37 with just me.  I can turn the full 6300 rpm with just me.  I get 33-34 with 3 people and can turn about 6000.  I was getting up to 41-42 consistently with just me with a 4 blade prop on the 2 stroke 90.  I have seen high 40's with a PTR 3 blade 17 pitch prop on the 90. One time, when the earth, moon, sun, stars, wind and tide aligned, I hit 51 mph with the 90.  Scary fast.

The loss of top end doesn't bother me,  the hole shot is excellent and the 70 is so quiet, sometimes I forget it is on. 

If there were a lightweight 90 4 stroke, I would have gone that way.  But there isn't, and for me the F70 is the best compromise. All in all the HPX-V with the 4 stroke 70 is still a bad *** skiff.  Plus I have a 6 year warranty.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your insight brother its very helpful.

It's good to know that you didnt sacrifice hole shot as that is my biggest concern along with fuel economy.  High top end isnt my priority either the way I fish but it is nice when those storms are approaching. I usually fish alone or with 1 other angler and the same not loaded down with ice or livewells full so I most likely wont see much a difference. 

And I agree it's too bad there isnt a lighter 90 on the market with better fuel efficiency.  I see most folks with our hulls running f70 or the 115 sho but man I'd hate to add all that weight, especially not being 100% confident that my 18 yr old transom can handle the extra 60lbs compared to my current merc at 300lbs.

My girl is in for new paint this week and I know when she comes out all shiny I will want that old merc gone! Lol

Thanks again