02' 2200V Re-Power

JAX2200V

I currently own a 22' 2002 2200V with a 200 VMAX.

Has anyone re-powered this model/size with the 250 SHO? If so any feedback would be appreciated! I mainly fish nearshore out of Jacksonville, Fl. Just trying to weigh my options for the next motor. The VMAX has been great and is still running like a top but with 1300 hrs and climbing weekly, I figured I would start researching re-power options sooner than later. 

Thanks in advance for any kind of input.

JEM, who used to frequent this forum, has an 22 XL around that era (not 100% on his year model). He repowered with a 225 SHO, and runs in the very high 50's/low 60's for WOT and with his new prop, sees over 4 gph at cruise.

Search the forum for post by him, and you'll find some solid info. I know he is running a Mercury Bravo 1 FS, in 20 pitch.

Food for thought, and not something a lot of people here do, but is VERY popular among the bass boat guys; the 200 SHO all the way up to the F300 are the same 4.2 liter V-6. In the SHO series, the only difference from the 200, 225 and 250 is the program loaded in the ECU. The bass boat guys buy 200's and flash them out to 330 h.p.

**EDIT** I'm also in Jax. what color is your rig? I have a 23 HPS that's anthracite gray (looks black on the water) with a 250 SHO.

23 hours ago, JAX2200V said:

I currently own a 22' 2002 2200V with a 200 VMAX.

Has anyone re-powered this model/size with the 250 SHO? If so any feedback would be appreciated! I mainly fish nearshore out of Jacksonville, Fl. Just trying to weigh my options for the next motor. The VMAX has been great and is still running like a top but with 1300 hrs and climbing weekly, I figured I would start researching re-power options sooner than later. 

Thanks in advance for any kind of input.

If its running great, run it until it no longer works unless you are just itching to get a new engine. Stash away a few $ every trip until it dies and THEN get a new engine.

• Like 1

I replaced a 200 VMAX HPDI on a 2003 22v & Tee top with a 2014 200 HP SHO. Runs great 50MPH with a great hole shot. Gear Ratio is different so I had to replace my 19"OFX with the same prop but 17" pitch. My boat is only rated for 225HP which I would have bought but it was not available. You can also flash the ECU up to 300HP if you are speed crazy and you are not worry about your hull and the Yamaha warranty.

I agree run it till  it blows. I had 1300 hours and it probable died from lack of use one summer vs running it.

Edited by Mike45q
Addition