New boat - Steering Issues / Prop

OlivierHPS2300

Brand new HPS and still breaking boat/motor in..  Unable to turn the boat at high speeds.   Motor is trimmed to normal level ( 250SHO) .     Never had this on my previous HPS at any speed or trim height.  Any ideas?   

Also, what prop are you running ( I have t-top/ trolling batteries/etc..) .  Not getting the speed or hole shot like previous boat (currently on boat 22-T15  Yamaha salt 4 blade)..  Use to run 65mph on other boat but I am guessing added weight with batteries and T-Top not helping.

Thanks.

I had the same problem when I bought my 23HPS in 2013. Impossible to steer at any speed over 50 mph. I posted about the issue and lots of members responded about the prop, trim angle and jack-plate height,  but nothing helped. When I had my 100 hour service, the mechanic said he used tons of grease in the pivot tube and tilt tube. He said, "I don't think it was ever greased from the factory". I put the boat back in the water the same day and what a difference. I could steer at 62 mph and never had a problem since that time. Maybe you have the same issue.

The motor (250 SHO) does not have any adjustment on the lower unit to compensate for prop torque, but the skeg has a factory bend that is supposed to compensate for the torque. Take a look at your skeg or put a straight edge on it. It's bent at the factory.

21 hours ago, NCTribute said:

i have a PowerTech OFX 4 prop, and my boat is very difficult to turn to port at high speed. Not sure if it is due to the SHO not having an adjustable anode or not.

I had the same issue with that prop on my HPS, too. 

Oliver, as mentioned, ensure everything is lubed. If you can, try to get your hands on. Mercury Bravo FS in 22 pitch. Night and day difference in steering ability from the prop my dealer set me up with. 

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:21 AM, OlivierHPS2300 said:

This one:
Bravo I FS Pro Finished (15 1/4 x 22") MERCURY RH Propeller ...

That will do. Try to barrow one before you buy...It was a tick light for my HPS without a t-top, but perfect with two fat guys, full fuel, wells and tackle. Empty I could run 63 mph near the rev limiter and loaded as mentioned above, I could run 59-60. Sunstone (on this forum) is running the same prop and has seen 64 with him and a friend, if I recall. Fuel economy will be at or above 4 mpg if you cruise less than 40 mph.

Last I checked, Jaco's Marine had the best price on Merc props and I think free shipping. That's also who Prop God's direct ships through, but charges you for shipping. Hope you get it dialed in soon.