Gulp Alive gone too soft?

FROZEN

I’ve used Berkeley’s Gulp Alive exclusively for a while. Any color 3” shrimp as long as it’s pearl white. They work well for me.

Went out today, and this batch I bought is so soft that one shrimp barely survives one trout catch and gets totally destroyed by lady fish. I started using Gulps on advice so I would not spend as much time as I did re-baiting with live shrimp. I really think live bait is cheaper, too! $1.00 and up each Gulp is ridiculous!

I remember Gulps being a lot more durable. Is it me?

Any alternatives out there that you can recommend?

38 minutes ago, jason p said:

They’re back to “normal” now I believe. I noticed the same thing last year with the 5” jerk shad, I use them pretty much exclusively when spin fishing. The last batch I got was back to the more durable plastic. 

I have found the same with shrimp....and the same, seems to be "store" and batch dependent...

dc

I've been a fan of Fishbites in white paddle tail style, for years. They don't have a lot of movement, but I've caught a metric ton of fish on them. I see they recently re-branded/re-marketed their stuff and have not gotten to try the "fight club" and whatever series they have now (sounds dumb to me). I strictly target redfish in murky, N.E. FL water. They're a bit more durable on the hook than Gulp! and seem to get by most of the turd hustlers. Heaven forbid you forget to take one off your hook when heading home!

17 hours ago, jason p said:

They’re back to “normal” now I believe. I noticed the same thing last year with the 5” jerk shad, I use them pretty much exclusively when spin fishing. The last batch I got was back to the more durable plastic. 

Last year's jerk shad issue was a production problem. Apparently there is a small window from when they are produced until when they go in a bag. Miss it by a second and it softens, or something like that.

Keeping gulps cool will help them hold together as well. 

Yea they have gotten ridiculously soft lately, esp. any of the new penny. If they ever get left out in the sun for a period you can throw them away. They'll tear putting on a jig. Iced tried keeping mine on ice and it helps but not for long. If zman made the same product one jar would last all season.  That's the reason they went soft, Berkly is making a fortune.  😡