Pathfinder 2200v Prop washout

RichardKamp

I have a 2005 2200v with a Yamaha 150HP on a Bob's jack plate. Many times when I am at speed - 4000-4400 rpm when I make a turn the prop blows out, more so to the starboard.

JP is down, trim is down, tabs slightly down, prop PT OFS4 - 15 P with cup.

Not sure if it is the prop or what. - Any ideas, suggestions?

Is the Bob's JP a new addition to your boat?  What size/setback is it?  Are there any disruptions to water flow ahead of the prop (i.e. transducers, livewell water pickups, etc.)?  About the only suggestion without knowing these details, would be to make sure your motor and jack plate are mounted as low as they can go (top mounting holes for all).  I had this same problem with my Atlas JP, because a JP adds 1.5" to 2" of additional built-in motor height.  I ended up adding a set of CMC 2.5" setback spacers between the transom and the jack plate which have adjustment holes and allowed me to mount the JP lower, to get the prop further down into cleaner water with less ventilation.  Now, I have the advantage to burying the prop down low for hard turns, and also more usable upward travel on the JP, for fine tuning performance and shallow running.  Pictures attached.  Hope this helps.

0601170730a.jpg

0601170731a.jpg

Thank you all for the comments. My boat came with an Atlas 6" JP which just died and was replaced with a Bob's 6". The original transom mounting holes were used for the new JP and the  motor is at the lowest setting on the JP too. I do have a Garmin transducer mounted right next to the hull drain plug.  I will try to get a better picture tonight and post of transom area.

20190504_164024.jpg

1 hour ago, RichardKamp said:

I do have a Garmin transducer mounted right next to the hull drain plug.

The spacer is an option that could help, but I would bet money that the transducer location is causing the problem.  Any object on the hull that disturbs the stream of flowing water ahead of the prop, can cause enough turbulence or air bubbles, for the propeller to break loose.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, geeviam said:

Is the Bob's JP a new addition to your boat?  What size/setback is it?  Are there any disruptions to water flow ahead of the prop (i.e. transducers, livewell water pickups, etc.)?  About the only suggestion without knowing these details, would be to make sure your motor and jack plate are mounted as low as they can go (top mounting holes for all).  I had this same problem with my Atlas JP, because a JP adds 1.5" to 2" of additional built-in motor height.  I ended up adding a set of CMC 2.5" setback spacers between the transom and the jack plate which have adjustment holes and allowed me to mount the JP lower, to get the prop further down into cleaner water with less ventilation.  Now, I have the advantage to burying the prop down low for hard turns, and also more usable upward travel on the JP, for fine tuning performance and shallow running.  Pictures attached.  Hope this helps.

0601170730a.jpg

0601170731a.jpg

Besides handling, did you pick up and speed? It seems with the prop down and back, you get more, useful trim and sooner. Have you looked at cavitation plates?

9 hours ago, BradM said:

Besides handling, did you pick up and speed? It seems with the prop down and back, you get more, useful trim and sooner. Have you looked at cavitation plates?

A small gain in speed, and better slip numbers for sure.  Believe it or not, I get the best WOT speed with the jack plate all the way down and motor trimmed up for more bow lift.  I raise the JP more at low to mid-range cruising speeds, to raise the level of engine thrust for fuel economy, ride control and shallow running.  I have the 4" full size Atlas JP (which is actually a 5" setback) and then added the CMC adjustable spacer.  After having this setup, with more usable range of JP lift, I would not have a 6" or smaller Atlas or Bobs JP without the spacer to mount the JP lower.  With 8", 10" and larger JPs, the adjustable spacer is not needed because the prop stays hooked up better with that much setback.

To answer your other question - I also have a homemade (cut-down Permatrim) stabilizer plate made to be a close replica of the Bobs TrueTracker plate.  I love it.  I would buy the Bobs TrueTracker before any other next time.

On 8/29/2019 at 4:33 PM, waterman7474 said:

This^^

Yep. I had the same problem after installing a new transducer. The transducer was too low in the water. I would have never believed it would have been the problem, but I discussed my issue with Marcus at PT and as soon as I told him I had replaced the old transducer, he told me the new one was most likely the problem. I went home and raised the  transducer so I was creating less turbulence, tested out on the water, and BINGO! Back to normal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...