Handheld VHF Radios: Best models?

rubble

Looking for a Handheld VHF radio to use as a backup and keep in ditch bag.  What are you guys using that you’d recommend?

I also have an ACR ResQLink+ that is in the ditch bag.  Don’t know if that changes anything as far as a recommended radio.  I know that some have DSC and GPS but all of that tech is new to me.  Not sure how all that works.

Your ACR is a different animal obviously and shouldn’t affect your radio selection. Any radio with DSC (digital selective calling) needs a GPS to send your position when activated, usually a separate shielded “distress button” of some sort. I have a Standard Horizon but I think any handheld with DSC from a reputable manufacturer will do. As long as it’s waterproof and floats. Think of your ACR as a last resort back up if you can’t raise anyone on your VHF. If you need to activate the DSC on your handheld you should be activating your EPIRB as well. Some important things to remember with handhelds...

Transmission power and antenna height are your limiting factors, standard power on a fixed mount these days is 25W and handhelds are usually 5-8W. VHF transmissions are line-of-sight. You really can’t do much about power but I’ve spoken before about extending antennas with a length of coax and your push pole.  

You must register your radio and get a MMSI number for DSC to be effective. Maybe the Coasties can verify but I’m not sure if anyone is responding to DSC transmission from an unregistered radio.

9 hours ago, rubble said:

What is the best method for the recreational boater to get an MMSI number?  Looks like you can go through a few organizations:  Boat US, Sea Tow(possibly?) and USPS.org.  

Rubble,

Sounds like you are going to be a "glades rat"....welcome...

To be honest, if  you are seriously thinking about spending a good bit of time in Choko and points south and I know you are new to the area, I would bite the bullet and just buy a SAT phone with a minimal plan for calls.

I had one years ago and sold it; however, I plan on spending alot of time in the "back" this winter in Choko and I've decided to get one, even thought I have a Delorme which I've been carrying...the Delorme works for texting back and forth using their GPS system, but, if I"m way behind a few islands down south inside Oyster Bay, or back up inside Houston Bay, etc., if I throw a lower unit or something, a SAT phone is a better option....yep, they are not cheap - say $1K for the phone and $40 a month for the service, but, it's peace of mind that you can actually CALL someone....For the most part, there is usually a good bit of traffic in the back, and you can probably make your way with a trolling motor to a point you can flag someone down and get "towed back - depending on water conditions"....if you plan on staying "out front".....it's less of a problem.....

Just another thought...

DC

I wish I could be to the point I could be a “rat” but I’m going to be lucky to get down there 3-4 times a year.  That is my goal.  Hope for more.  Sat phone would make a lot of sense if I were down there a lot.  Or maybe even if just one trip but I’m going to start out just with PLB and a VHF/GPS/DSC setup for now.  We actually rented a sat phone to take down to Venice LA a few years ago. Wasn’t really necessary there.  Boats all over the place.  Should be able to get someone via VHF about any time there.