Fly by wire vs Mechanical control Q's

FINCHASER

Anyone know how to figure out cost difference between he 2, say for an F300? Cant find and answer on the ol interwebs.  Other than that anyone went from mech to FBW offer any pros or cons or if you prefer it over the other etc?  Right now in my situation the only benefit I see is the ability to adjust trolling speed more precisely but assuming this option is not cheap is it really worth it?

I have my first FBW on this Pathfinder 2500 (F300) it’s definitely smooth and nice to operate around the dock. Just dump it fwd or reverse past the neutral detent and it falls nicely into gear. Does take a little getting used to because you don’t have the resistance or play I’m used to between idle and say... 1200 rpm. I don’t know it’s hard to explain but you’ll know what I mean if you drive one

As far as the trolling speed I always forget about it so I haven’t tried it yet, fishing days are few and far between with the baby now. I’d imagine rigging would be an absolute breeze and as long as the electronics hold up (question of the century). Would I spend a bunch of money swapping over to FBW for a re-power... absolutely not.

I buy used boats so I get what I get to a certain extent. I look at FBW the same as electric power steering (I don’t have) being offered on a lot of new boats including the Pathfinder 2500s. Yeah it’s nice but do I really want a minimum of three more electrical components, not really, it’s not that nice and on my application not necessary.

Judging by the fact that Yamaha is offering a choice now of electronic or mechanical rigging for new F300s, it seems many others share the same opinion. 

14 minutes ago, mustang190 said:

Call me old fashioned but, seawater and electronics do not mix. No matter how well you think it is sealed and protected. 

It’s one thing to have your bottom machine or lights to go out. It’s another to lose throttle response or steering. 

Agreed, or pulling up to a dock and a solenoid goes out in the lower unit and you loose reverse. Call me old fashioned too!