Gelcoat

StPeteBonefisher

Hey guys and gals,

I’m putting a new etec 90 on my 16ft bonefisher. So basically I’m committing myself for another few years with this hull (which I love). The problem is that I have some pretty bad gelcoat cracking going on. So I figured I’d turn to the forum to see how I can fix this. Any ideas? Looks like previous owner put some sort of stuff to fill the void, just not sure the best way to fix it so it doesn’t keep peeling. 

388993ED-DDE5-4B0A-96D1-4A3F0820D194.jpeg

7F8209A1-5AF3-4529-B29A-A6C57CE11325.jpeg

B707BE88-571E-4B04-9577-BE32F85B70FF.jpeg

It really depends on how you want it too look. It appears to have taken a heck of a hit there that poked a hole in the finish. I think it needs to be ground out a little and repaired. If you want to not know it was there you will need a glass guy to pattern the non skid. If you would rather see a patch than a hole I think you could repair it as dyi. One possible way would be to grind off the gel coat and lightly scuff the fiberglass. Use marine tex in white to cover the area. I think you could kinda “dob” the top of the marine Tex with something and make a textured finish on the non skid. This would at least  make the area water tight again. 

First off you need to know whats going on there better and that likely wont be done without opening it up. Peel back the chipped gelcoat and see what it looks like, its going to make it look worse but you can take it to a shop afterwards as they would do the same.

To get that pattern find a piece of leather and use that to pattern it it with, press it on as the new gelcoat is tacking/curing.

11 hours ago, SouthernWake said:

First off you need to know whats going on there better and that likely wont be done without opening it up. Peel back the chipped gelcoat and see what it looks like, its going to make it look worse but you can take it to a shop afterwards as they would do the same.

To get that pattern find a piece of leather and use that to pattern it it with, press it on as the new gelcoat is tacking/curing.

^^^this^^^^^

I had some similar bubbles forming in my nonskid, which are being addressed.  Once we sanded down to the glass, we found glass damage underneath that was causing it.  Looks like someone took a hammer to that spot (on mine)   very odd.  Yours looks like someone hit a dock hard on that gunnel and it cracked it slightly, but over time the gelcoat is telling the story.   Prepare yourself for potential glasswork.

Dang.. that scares me. It looks like it is just chipped gelcoat especially because you can see that the previous owner put some marine tex looking stuff on there. BUT you bring up a good point that it could be indicating a bigger issue...which would ***. I chose to repower because the hull had just been rewired and I put a new gas tank in, hoping that I don't have glass issues and it's simply cosmetic. 

Thanks for the info and suggestions

1 hour ago, StPeteBonefisher said:

Dang.. that scares me. It looks like it is just chipped gelcoat especially because you can see that the previous owner put some marine tex looking stuff on there. BUT you bring up a good point that it could be indicating a bigger issue...which would ***. I chose to repower because the hull had just been rewired and I put a new gas tank in, hoping that I don't have glass issues and it's simply cosmetic. 

Thanks for the info and suggestions

I wouldn't sweat it too much.  Even if it is glasswork you are talking about small time work.   

If you're going at it yourself, check out Andy's page HERE as well as his videos on YouTube. The guy is an absolute glass/gel wizard. He can take you pretty far down the rabbit hole, but does a great job explaining the what, why and how. You can actually make a mold of your existing gelcoat and use it to blend the repair. That little spot doesn't look too bad. Good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BradM said:

If you're going at it yourself, check out Andy's page HERE as well as his videos on YouTube. The guy is an absolute glass/gel wizard. He can take you pretty far down the rabbit hole, but does a great job explaining the what, why and how. You can actually make a mold of your existing gelcoat and use it to blend the repair. That little spot doesn't look too bad. Good luck!

Thank you!!!!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BradM said:

thanks for the link.....great watch.

5 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

thanks for the link.....great watch.

You're welcome. I've been following Andy's page for years now (I don't personally know him) and appreciate all of his videos. Once upon a time, when he was getting started sharing videos, he mentioned donations to continue his video effort. I'm personally not a fan of those types of things, but I felt like his teaching method and skill level were worth it. I think I donated $10 or something, definitely less than $20. Andy sent me an email asking if I had a particular repair in mind and said he would do a video on it. Kind of cool. Anyways, I hope anyone looking to tackle minor repair work on their boat thinks to look him up on YouTube. I found his videos when I was searching the wed on how to color match gel coat. His results were a lot better than mine!

There's definitely some incorrect repair under there leading to the delam - but it's really a small job.

To make a matching repair with the non-skid, make a quick and dirty dam with cardboard and hot glue and fill with two part silicone to make a mold (I used Mold Star 20T).  Make the repair and get a layer of gelcoat on it up to the bottom of the existing pattern at it's deepest valleys or there about.  Let that cure, sand lightly, then lay down a thin layer of gelcoat and roll the silicone mold in place.  Weight it down a little and let it cure.

48119606928_6313ec1346.jpg

48119667762_e122000ece.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JakeK said:

There's definitely some incorrect repair under there leading to the delam - but it's really a small job.

To make a matching repair with the non-skid, make a quick and dirty dam with cardboard and hot glue and fill with two part silicone to make a mold (I used Mold Star 20T).  Make the repair and get a layer of gelcoat on it up to the bottom of the existing pattern at it's deepest valleys or there about.  Let that cure, sand lightly, then lay down a thin layer of gelcoat and roll the silicone mold in place.  Weight it down a little and let it cure.

48119606928_6313ec1346.jpg

48119667762_e122000ece.jpg

Way to go! Looks GOOD!