2004 Yamaha F115TLRC missing at higher RPMs

DavisIslander

Hello all!

Love my RF18 and F115, however...

2004 Redfisher 18

2004 Yamaha F115TLRC with 315 hours on it.  Last 100 hr service was 240 hours just prior to purchase in Feb 2018.  I have 315 hours on it!

Back in Nov 2018, it started to sputter first at high speeds and then completely died and couldn't start.  Had to shell out big bucks to have the tank drained/cleaned, VST screen/filter, etc. replaced.  Been running great since then until last weekend. 

Cruising along at about 35mph it started misfiring, jerking, as if I wasn't getting a solid bang from all four cylinders.  Felt like it may be a short, or perhaps the fuel issue (again). 

No issues starting the motor, fires right up!  At idle it purrs, runs great at lower rmp/slow speeds.

It's odd, but it's only happened immediately after filling up the tank in both cases.  Only use non-ethanol and I add Ethanol Shield fuel stabilizer. 

Checked fuel/water separator and it was clean.

I'm thinking maybe I should put in some quicksilver and run it in the yard, other fuel additives?

Suggestions?  Course of action? 

I'm stumped! 

Thanks all!

On 9/25/2019 at 11:39 AM, DavisIslander said:

Suggestions?  Course of action? 

I had the same thing one time.....my sparkplug wire was loose.....you don't notice while it's just idleing..but, when it came up on plane, it was bumping....check to see everything is tight and secure....spray some cleaner on the contacts as well.....

As well it could be your injectors - when was the last time they were rebuilt / cleaned?

DC

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:26 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

I had the same thing one time.....my sparkplug wire was loose.....you don't notice while it's just idleing..but, when it came up on plane, it was bumping....check to see everything is tight and secure....spray some cleaner on the contacts as well.....

DC

Good suggestions DC!  I took the cowling off and went around poking and prodding everything.  Very clean and I was impressed.  Last 100 service was about 75 hours ago, but before I owned it.  I'm going to get it serviced early and see what becomes of my "miss".  Thanks again Brother!