Trailer Bunk Carpet Replacement

Headhunter

48 minutes ago, Redrum said:

No adhesive and not stainless steel.....I think staples are called Monel 1/2".  They seem to last longer.  Can get at your favorite big box store.

Monel is a mixture of nickel and cooper , I use monel alloy Martin guitar strings they resist corrosion better than most uncoated strings . I have used SS staples on my bunks and they did show signs of corrosion fairly fast I did not know they made monel staples thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Head hunter.... if it matters Ive been doing dome research on bunk carpet and noted how thick the carpet on there is from ameritrail.  Couldnt find anything that looked the same till I was in bass pro... the bunk carpet they carry under their name is a perfect match for it and really looks like some quality stuff

Muddybottom... interesting.. curious to know doesnt it mark up the bottom of the boat?

3 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Working on the Pathfinder's trailer and I have a couple of worn carpets on the outer bunks. Do I need to use some type of adhesive between the carpet and bunk? I was figuring on using stainless staples. Is that right?

No on the adhesive. Monel staples as others have mentioned, I don't use carpet I make PVC slides for mine....no moisture retention like carpet. However I helped my neighbor put carpet on his bunks and we just ordered it off eBay and stapled with a cheap HF pneumatic stapler. Easy peasy. 

I no longer use any carpet. I redid my bunks with GatorBak.com Expensive yes, but it is soft enough to not harm the gelcoat and keeps the bottom dry, no blisters. I spray a lite coat of silicone on the bunks and the boat comes off the trailer nicely. I removed the wood and carpet from the fenders and replaced it with king starboard. I also insulated the bunks where they attach to the aluminium to stop corrosion. That is something Ameritrail now does on all their trailers.

12 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Muddybottom... interesting.. curious to know doesnt it mark up the bottom of the boat?

The seadek worked great, just a little squeaky going on and off the trailer. The diamond plate floor mat is sold by the roll in HD has worked great so far, the raised diamonds help with airflow on the bunks, no marking and extremely durable. 

• Like 1

Headhunter,

I haven’t tried it, but there are several folks around here that installed used fire hose on their bunks. Rubber against the wood with monel staples. They claim no hull scratching b/c modern hose outer fabric is not abrasive compared to older straight course canvas. It will outlast the wood bunks.