Group 24 batteries

dotschaser

Anyone have any feedback using group 24 batteries on an 80 lb troll motor set up?   Trying to determine if I can get day of fishing with moderate use out of em.  I know a lot depends on fishing conditions and such. Don’t plan on doing a lot of spot lock or fishing in heavy winds currents and so on.   I am limited on room for the batteries.  Thks. 

1 hour ago, dotschaser said:

Anyone have any feedback using group 24 batteries on an 80 lb troll motor set up?   Trying to determine if I can get day of fishing with moderate use out of em.  I know a lot depends on fishing conditions and such. Don’t plan on doing a lot of spot lock or fishing in heavy winds currents and so on.   I am limited on room for the batteries.  Thks. 

I have a pair of them under my console. Havent used them all day as i generally dont fish all day long. So far i havent had any problems with them. Fished for most of the day and didnt plug them in that night, went the next day and the battery indicator  still showed 3/4 charged. Maybe this helps

On 9/29/2019 at 7:43 PM, dotschaser said:

You have an HPX correct? If so, 24's will get you though "average" fishing conditions....just don't go cheap....get some good DEKA AGM's or similar and YOU'LL NEED TO KEEP THEM CHARGED.....duuh? yes, I don't know how many times over the years, I fogot at night before....now, when I had the big 31's, no big deal....normally I could get another day of fishing...but, for the most part, if you are using the TM to just get in and out of spots and are not running all day long along the mangroves, I'd say you are 90% there....a good high quality charger will be important....

DC

On the DEKA site and Minnkotta site, it gives you the amount of time you can run the TM"s.

From Memory, at full speed, a 80# uses about 45 amps / hr. So, if you have a series 24, with 140 amp hr/ reserve, you can run for 1.5 hours at full speed. 

We all know, that you dont' run full speed for 2 hours; therefore, you probably should get a full day, on a small skiff using a series 24....

RC is is calculated at 25AMP hrs....a series 24 is 140, so, you probably have about 2  hours.....at full...but, normally, you should get a full day of fishing so long as they are at 100% when you begin.

Again, personally, if you have the room...i like the 27's which give you a bit more RC.

DC

s334645420_interstatebattery.thumb.JPG.447e2b57517548ba3f357e1c43ccd23f.JPG

I run 80 pounder but the 24s don't hold for me. Nor the 27s. I am with Bama on 31's.  31 AGM provides the best for how I fish. I run a Stealth charge on fly as well. If you don't have room for but 24s the Stealth charging is excellent for smaller (or larger) batts if you run to spots in-between. Probably other charge on run systems but my experience is with my current set up but charge on fly will definitely help with smaller batts. 

4 hours ago, triplec said:

I run 80 pounder but the 24s don't hold for me. Nor the 27s. I am with Bama on 31's.  31 AGM provides the best for how I fish. I run a Stealth charge on fly as well. If you don't have room for but 24s the Stealth charging is excellent for smaller (or larger) batts if you run to spots in-between. Probably other charge on run systems but my experience is with my current set up but charge on fly will definitely help with smaller batts. 

Triplec,

I agree, the 31's are da-BOMB for RC....but, the OP is running a HPX, so, one would imagine it should give him a days fishing...you are running a MA21? Correct - aircraft carriers need nuclear propulsion :)

When I had my 22 pathy, i was 36V, with 3 DEKA 31's all the way.....

DC

Thank you to all that responded to my question.  Yes, boat is an 18 hpx.  Made cardboard templates of the smallest 27 in the tray's I could put in there.  Just a bit too big.  Group 24's or the optima 34's I believe will have to be the answer.   I have a solid charger minnkota MK330 charger, charging batteries back to full overnight should not be issue.  Trying to make decision on highest reserve capacity 24 battery I can find with good cca's.  Engine is a 115 so should not need a ton of cca's to start engine.  No amp on board and do not live bait fish that much.