2400 vs 2500

FINCHASER

Ill be upgrading soon and both are on my list, need to pick one.  Both have pros and cons for me... just minor stuff either will do what I want and be a huge upgrade over my 2000.

So wondering if anyone has owned or fished both that can offer to input to help me make up my mind.  Most of my fishing is offshore but starting this time of year thru about march is mostly inside fishing inlets and bridges for snook. 

Some things Im thinking are... im leaning toward the 25 due to the more open cockpit but the forward rod lockers just kinda seem outta place and dont appear to be near the room in them as compared to the 24 and it looks like one wont be able to be opened when the trolling motor is in the stored position.  On the 24 I like the lower front deck height and it appears to me that it actually may have more storage than the 25.  I see a 1 degree difference in the dead rise between the 2 so not sure if that will translate into that much of a better ride in the 25 over the 24 but ride is very important in the decision.  Thanks in advance for any help. 

The 25 is a beast of a boat. Have fished on both. I would take the 25 over the 24 with some understandings. It is by far a different animal  when you are towing it launching etc. Make sure your tow vehicle is up to the task. The standard  ameritrail trailer rides very low at the hitch so you need a stout rear suspension. 

Being a stepped hull changes it's  handling, not hard to learn but maneuvering in tight spaces is slightly harder.  

While fishing there is a learning curve on the deck layout since it is not one level. 

I was in the same boat after we had the baby and needed something with shade and ended up with the 2500. We were also looking at the Contender 25 and the 2400 but the actual “floor space” of the 2500 is what did it for me, it’s a game changer offshore compared to other bay boats (I guess that’s why it’s a hybrid). I spent a lot of time in the past on 2200s and 2400s and this thing is a beast compared to the 2400, may be somewhat of an illusion but it seems way bigger and the ride in any kind of sea condition is better. Working on the thing is an absolute breeze as well, they seem to really put a lot of thought into maintaining this thing and the rigging has improved greatly since my 2010 HPX was put together. The wiring is ridiculous, in a good way. Number 0 battery cables and 8ga wire to almost everything. They seem to use the the same harness for every boat so all the wiring, switches and breakers are there for every available option. I added a second power pole and just installed a ring terminal on the wire labeled “port power pole” and connected the pump to the wires in the bilge and off I went. I also added an electric reel outlet and just used one of the available power steering circuits since I don’t have power steering  

There’s a couple of “head scratchers”... the fish box is big and well insulated however snapper scales, dolphin puke, etc... won’t pass through the grate on the drain leading to the macerator pump because it has small holes. What’s the point of having a macerator if nothing can get to it? Easy enough fix with a Dremel though.  

The rod holders...I’ve had two of the four cheap Pathfinder rod holders partially pull from the gunnel, they are NOT thru bolted nor can they be thru bolted because the side holes are too close to the rod tube. To be totally accurate the middle forward hole of the holder is thru bolted so at least some thought was put into quality. I know these are probably the same rod holders from the late 90’s when Pathfinder 1806s were $25K  and there’s a train car full of them at the factory but come on. Now that we’re in the land of “premium” $125K-and-up bay boats, having cheap flush mounted rod holders is totally unacceptable in my opinion. Self tapping wood screws into a foam cored laminate is pretty low budget and not strong enough for rod holders in boat this expensive marketed as being able to fish offshore. 

FIN... I started with a 2000V, then onto a 2300HPS, plus my good buddy has a 24, and I just took delivery of a 2500.  IMO, the 2500 is by far the best boat PF is making right now, especially if you spend more time offshore.  The walk-around space on the deck is phenomenal and the bow area is nice and flat and big enough for two people to fish comfortably.  The ride compared to the 24 is superior, especially when it gets rough.  The double stepped hull rides soft and it eats up chop.  Not as fast as my 2300 but 55 is more than enough for me.  I'm still getting used to the storage bins and location of my gear, but that will come with time.  This thing eats up massive amounts of gear and tackle, just different than the 2300.  The two forward lockers are not as large as the 24, but they are more than adequate.  I don't store rods in them regularly so I don't miss the loss of a rod storage space.  And to answer your question on the opening with trolling motor,...I have a 72" shaft MinnKota mounted to the port side, the locker cover does touch the trolling motor head when opening, but you just have to move it a bit for it to open all the way.   Also the center locker cover cannot be opened if wither of the two side doors are open.  Again no big deal just have to get used to opening only one at a time.  The Center locker is huge, probably twice the size of the 23 and bigger than the 24.  the Center console storage is also great now that they made a huge battery storage area under the floor of the center console.  It makes all that room inside avail for storage with the batteries down low under the plexiglass plate.  Finally, I opted for the tackle center helm seat and its great.  Again, just takes some time to get used to from what I had on the 2300. 

Not sure where you are located, but I'm in the Stuart area, so if you ever want to take a ride on one, just let me know, Id be happy to take you out.  Hopefully this *** wind lets up soon!

19 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Ill be upgrading soon and both are on my list, need to pick one.  Both have pros and cons for me... just minor stuff either will do what I want and be a huge upgrade over my 2000.

So wondering if anyone has owned or fished both that can offer to input to help me make up my mind.  Most of my fishing is offshore but starting this time of year thru about march is mostly inside fishing inlets and bridges for snook. 

Some things Im thinking are... im leaning toward the 25 due to the more open cockpit but the forward rod lockers just kinda seem outta place and dont appear to be near the room in them as compared to the 24 and it looks like one wont be able to be opened when the trolling motor is in the stored position.  On the 24 I like the lower front deck height and it appears to me that it actually may have more storage than the 25.  I see a 1 degree difference in the dead rise between the 2 so not sure if that will translate into that much of a better ride in the 25 over the 24 but ride is very important in the decision.  Thanks in advance for any help. 

Silly questions, you know as well as I do what your next boat should be!

Skip

11 hours ago, pbspecial said:

FIN... I started with a 2000V, then onto a 2300HPS, plus my good buddy has a 24, and I just took delivery of a 2500.  IMO, the 2500 is by far the best boat PF is making right now, especially if you spend more time offshore.  The walk-around space on the deck is phenomenal and the bow area is nice and flat and big enough for two people to fish comfortably.  The ride compared to the 24 is superior, especially when it gets rough.  The double stepped hull rides soft and it eats up chop.  Not as fast as my 2300 but 55 is more than enough for me.  I'm still getting used to the storage bins and location of my gear, but that will come with time.  This thing eats up massive amounts of gear and tackle, just different than the 2300.  The two forward lockers are not as large as the 24, but they are more than adequate.  I don't store rods in them regularly so I don't miss the loss of a rod storage space.  And to answer your question on the opening with trolling motor,...I have a 72" shaft MinnKota mounted to the port side, the locker cover does touch the trolling motor head when opening, but you just have to move it a bit for it to open all the way.   Also the center locker cover cannot be opened if wither of the two side doors are open.  Again no big deal just have to get used to opening only one at a time.  The Center locker is huge, probably twice the size of the 23 and bigger than the 24.  the Center console storage is also great now that they made a huge battery storage area under the floor of the center console.  It makes all that room inside avail for storage with the batteries down low under the plexiglass plate.  Finally, I opted for the tackle center helm seat and its great.  Again, just takes some time to get used to from what I had on the 2300. 

Not sure where you are located, but I'm in the Stuart area, so if you ever want to take a ride on one, just let me know, Id be happy to take you out.  Hopefully this *** wind lets up soon!

PM Sent

This thread isn't helping things at my house. I have an '18 HPS and Momma is looking for more room and a big t-top....Lots of great info here, especially the first hand experience from pbspecial moving up from the 23 to the 25. There's that much more room than the 23?!? I know PF put the batteries below, which is a nice feature for sure having; all that console floor space. Thank you for starting this thread, Fin, it saved me from having to.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/2/2019 at 6:37 AM, jason p said:

I was in the same boat after we had the baby and needed something with shade and ended up with the 2500. We were also looking at the Contender 25 and the 2400 but the actual “floor space” of the 2500 is what did it for me, it’s a game changer offshore compared to other bay boats (I guess that’s why it’s a hybrid). I spent a lot of time in the past on 2200s and 2400s and this thing is a beast compared to the 2400, may be somewhat of an illusion but it seems way bigger and the ride in any kind of sea condition is better. Working on the thing is an absolute breeze as well, they seem to really put a lot of thought into maintaining this thing and the rigging has improved greatly since my 2010 HPX was put together. The wiring is ridiculous, in a good way. Number 0 battery cables and 8ga wire to almost everything. They seem to use the the same harness for every boat so all the wiring, switches and breakers are there for every available option. I added a second power pole and just installed a ring terminal on the wire labeled “port power pole” and connected the pump to the wires in the bilge and off I went. I also added an electric reel outlet and just used one of the available power steering circuits since I don’t have power steering  

There’s a couple of “head scratchers”... the fish box is big and well insulated however snapper scales, dolphin puke, etc... won’t pass through the grate on the drain leading to the macerator pump because it has small holes. What’s the point of having a macerator if nothing can get to it? Easy enough fix with a Dremel though.  

The rod holders...I’ve had two of the four cheap Pathfinder rod holders partially pull from the gunnel, they are NOT thru bolted nor can they be thru bolted because the side holes are too close to the rod tube. To be totally accurate the middle forward hole of the holder is thru bolted so at least some thought was put into quality. I know these are probably the same rod holders from the late 90’s when Pathfinder 1806s were $25K  and there’s a train car full of them at the factory but come on. Now that we’re in the land of “premium” $125K-and-up bay boats, having cheap flush mounted rod holders is totally unacceptable in my opinion. Self tapping wood screws into a foam cored laminate is pretty low budget and not strong enough for rod holders in boat this expensive marketed as being able to fish offshore. 

I am starting the search for my next boat and found your post really helpful! Thanks for the insightful post!

I too am looking at both the PF 2500 & the 25 Contender Bay. My question is, what ultimately made you decide on the pathfinder's hybrid as opposed to the Contender's? Upon my initial research, it seems that both boat-makers appear to have done a really nice job with designing these hybrid inshore/offshore boats... even though their respective backgrounds are basically opposite each other...Pathfinder being known for their history of producing quality inshore boats & Contenders being one of the "gold standards" in offshore vessels. Was there anything significant that pushed one of these boats ahead/behind the other for you?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!! 

20 hours ago, Point Your Path said:

I am starting the search for my next boat and found your post really helpful! Thanks for the insightful post!

I too am looking at both the PF 2500 & the 25 Contender Bay. My question is, what ultimately made you decide on the pathfinder's hybrid as opposed to the Contender's? Upon my initial research, it seems that both boat-makers appear to have done a really nice job with designing these hybrid inshore/offshore boats... even though their respective backgrounds are basically opposite each other...Pathfinder being known for their history of producing quality inshore boats & Contenders being one of the "gold standards" in offshore vessels. Was there anything significant that pushed one of these boats ahead/behind the other for you?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!! 

I was looking at the same two boats also. I have also run the Contender Bay for work.

I ended up with the 25 Pathfinder because of the overall deck space and layout. I too have a baby (3yo) and the deck on the Contender is too tight. I like that on the Pathy you can walk all the way around the console without stepping up onto the casting deck. The Contender is extremely tight inside. 

The ride on both is comparable. I live in Key West so the Hyrbid was a good fit for us because we use it for everything from cruising, hitting the sandbar, fishing the back country and going offshore. At the end of the day they are both bay boats so you should pick your “offshore” days. 

The only downside to the Pathy is that I wish it had the 90 gallon fuel capacity of the Contender. Hell I wish it had 110 gallons! 

In the end I choose the Pathy because of the layout. To me it is more functional for what we do. The seating around the front deck on the Contender is just not practical. But both boats are great and it’s just a personal preference. 

E4B407B5-B23F-4CBD-A0AD-11A793B0528D.jpeg