Water in bilge..

CG RYAN

Hey guys, on the last two trips I have noticed my bilge pump running a few times during an all day trip. My boat is definitely letting water in from somewhere but I havent found the culprit yet. I secured the valve right at the sea chest but it still had quite a bit in the bilge after a trip. I think it is leaking where the sea chest comes into the bilge but I am not 100%. Has anyone had theyre sea chest leak? I think I am going to jack up the boat and pull off the cheese grater but am looking for any input from those who have had similar issues. Thanks in advance.

I believe I have a very similar problem. My last trip out the bilge kicked on 2 or 3 times.

Like you I think I have it narrowed down to the fittings between my livewell and the pick-up. My last check will be to launch the boat and observe. I plan to sit and wait for the water to accumulate, try to see if I can determine where the water is coming from. Don't want to start dismantling parts until I'm positive of my source. Will let you know if I figure it out, but it will be a few more days until I have the time.

I have a 01 2200V and had the same issue...posted a thread about it a while back...make sure you guys search...

in short, I found my problem to be the deck drain hoses that run from the deck out through the valves in the back of the boat. when the one on the starboard side leaks, it will drain back right to where the seachest is, and appear that the seachest fittings are leaking...

You can get water in the bilge from a few sources.. The livewell pumps can crack, fittings too.. There is an O-ring on the drain plug that will let in water when at rest..

The cheese grater will show when you put water in the bilge on the trailer.

There are some other tricks to finding leaks the guys can share..

I had my thru hull leaking at one point. I just loosened the nut and squeezed 5200 in there and retightened. The proper fix would be to remove the cheese grater and reseal that side as well. I had no access on the trailer as my bunks sit on it.

Otherwise, if your still getting water with the seacocks closed, there's not much else but the drain plug and other livewell and deck drain thru hulls. I'd put the boat in the water and stick your head down there.

the bait wells leaked into the bilge

Looks like this is my issue. Just plugged my center well (big one) and filled it until the level reached the overflow into the splash well. Water immediately started coming out my plug. Looks to be two leaks, one from my fill hose from the pump and another yet to be determined, but likely to be where you said it would be. Bottom line is, it has to do with the big bait well and should be relatively easy fix.

Thanks everyone!

Final verdict is two easy fixes.

1) The hose connection to the recirculation pump was leaking. Took it off, clipped a couple inches off coated in 5200 and installed. No leak now.

2) The nut on the overflow drain that goes to the splashwell had gotten loose and was allowing water behind it and into the bilge area. Took the opportunity to remove the old drain fitting and install a new one with plenty 5200 as there was not any on the livewell side from original install. No more leaks.

Archived