Moving back to FL. Miami or Jacksonville?

CG RYAN

On 10/8/2019 at 9:31 AM, BradM said:

Hey Ryan, I grew up in central Palm Beach Co. and moved to Jacksonville in '91. I get anxious when I get to the county line in Palm Beach, and absolutely dislike it down there anymore. Hate is a strong word, but what it was and what it currently is are two different things. Not bashing it....but I could never move back. I currently live at the very bottom of Duval Co. (Jacksonville) with St. Johns Co, being about a mile from my house. All the public schools near me in Duval are A rated, and St. Johns Co. is known for their public shools as being some of the best in the state. I live on an acre in a non-HOA neighborhood and have plenty of room for my rig (23'). It's slower here than down south and people while kind on both ends of the state, are more "southern" here. It's just easier....As for fishing, offshore is great in both places, but you're going to make a haul leaving from here compared to down south. 50+ miles compared to 5-10 miles. Jacksonville is Navy friendly with several bases (where would you be, NAS Jax. or Mayport?). My buddy just moved back from VA and is based out of NAS Jax., and bought a house down in St. Augustine. He's on this forum as @Black Pearl and may have some insight for you.

Hey Ryan, Im a little late on noticing this thread but as Brad mentioned, we moved back down from up north and currently live in St. Aug south.  Love the neighborhood and its within a block of the closest ramp. I also do a lot of offshore fishing and from my neighborhood to the inlet is about 2 miles. We love it here and could not imagine being anywhere else. If you have any questions feel free to give me a shout. 

Good luck.  Tony. 

On 10/18/2019 at 5:19 PM, MuddyBottomBluz said:

Technically, Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida, 25 square miles or something like that. My brother lived in Orange park and there was traffic! That being said I would still rather live there than Miami, but I am stuck down here for the foreseeable future!

Anyone that lives in OP has to deal with traffic... 17 is a nightmare during rush hour. Staying on the east side of the river and driving against traffic is key.

If you like dirty, nasty, filthy inconsiderate people and like paying double for everything.... Miami is the place! I'll absolutely never go back of my own free will. 

Jacksonville I've only been to once, but St Augustine I've been a few times lately. That whole area just feels good. It's peaceful and relaxing and the people are nice and friendly. They also have solid Cobia fishing, big ol' flounder and the big bull redfish. That's definitely where I would be looking. 

Josh B.