2300 Hps coming soon!

FinFisher

It’s been a long time coming. I recently ended up having to replace my current boat which I charter out of due to some issues and purchased a brand new 2020  2300 Hps with 250 sho its set to be delivered Dec 6th. Upon delivery I’ll be installing 2 simrad go 7, trolling motor, power pole. Asked dealer to prop it with a mercury 1 bravo FS in a 24 pitch (based on a friends boat). Is there anything else worth looking into. 

Congrats on the new boat, you will love it.  But I think a 24 would be too much prop.  I have a bravo fs in 22 on my 23 and it runs 61 to 63 at 6100 rpm.  I think Brad M bought a 24 and it only turned in the mid to low 5000 rpm.  Sometimes I think a 23 would be best but I heard the odd numbers are reworked from the next pitch up and don't perform as expected.  

With that load, you don't want a 24p....or at all. I couldn't turn it very well and speed was way down. I even went and ran it way light and still couldn't do much with the 24. I went with a 22 and ran the same range as Sunstone...I have a 23p now, and run about the same as I did with the 22. No real gain, so what they say is true. I do know for a fact the odd numbers are hand "worked" from the next even number down; they add cup to make it "act" like a 23,25,27, etc. This was confirmed via phone call with Scott Reichow (sp) of Mercury Racing.

Also, I sent a Bravo FS out to be worked and upon return, compared it to a brand new in the box FS, the difference is amazing! If you look at the stock FS, with the thrust washer side on a table/bench, half the blade is laid back, meaning it doesn't run out to the tip end at the same angle as it starts at from the hub. When having them worked (by Steve's Custom Props anyhow) they bring the lazy side of the blade up, run the cup out around the tip further and put a little sharper profile on the leading edge. Josh (owner of Steve's) said a 3-4 mph gain is typical, with the best gain being 9 mph! This work from Steve's will run $250/prop, and he includes balancing and polishing it back up. I'll try to remember to upload pics later.

As for load out...With me and two buddies (all around 250 lbs./ea) a bunch of inshore rods...fully loaded with tackle bags, cooler, cooler seat, and a full release well (45 gallons of water) AND 35 gallons of gas, I ran 56-57 with the 23p, last Sunday. I also have a 36v trolling motor set up and a Motorguide Xi5.

Same boat has also gone 67.3 mph with the FS in 22p. :D

BradM so your saying I need to get a 23 pitch in that prop and have it worked over.  Or a 22. I’m looking for the speed ultimately but I do have to remember it is a charter boat so there will be a load on it day in and day out as long as I see 60 to 63 for tournaments I’ll be happy

2 hours ago, FinFisher said:

BradM so your saying I need to get a 23 pitch in that prop and have it worked over.  Or a 22. I’m looking for the speed ultimately but I do have to remember it is a charter boat so there will be a load on it day in and day out as long as I see 60 to 63 for tournaments I’ll be happy

Not at all! I'm saying I'd start out with a Bravo FS in 22, before anything, and then go from there. You'll be able to catch the rev limiter with it when you're light, more than likely. All of them are different...Sunstone's set up was faster than mine was by 1-2 mph, and some other guys, too. The FS series is quick out of the hole....ridiculously quick. I have a crappy cell phone video I took while trying to work the throttle, steer and video...I'll trim the video down so you can see the hole shot. Also, my boat like the jack plate way down for top speed...even all the way down, which allows more trim angle.

Mulligan, I spin it up fine and it runs well for me. It does not have the "slippery" feeling of a stock FS; it's more hooked for sure!

It’s crazy how all the boats and set ups are practically the same but everyone’s is different in a sense. Like my buddies boat runs constant 65 at 5950 I believe with a FS 24 and he gets his top speed with his jack plate at 2.5 that’s 2 people and full tournament load. What’s the Stock FS 22 numbers look like. I talked to rick Murphy and he told me a great all around prop was the turbo fusion 4 21 pitch and will be 62 mph. 

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, BCPD199 said:

Question for both you and Brad M. (others feel free to chime in), in reference to the forward cooler, did you go with the standard Engel cooler or the optional FRP cooler and why?

Not sure what the new coolers are like, because mine is a 2013. But, the walking space between the cooler and the rod lockers is tight. So, I switched to a smaller cooler and increased the walking room significantly. This might not work for you if you are guiding because the small cooler is pretty tight seating for two adults.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:59 PM, FinFisher said:

It’s crazy how all the boats and set ups are practically the same but everyone’s is different in a sense. Like my buddies boat runs constant 65 at 5950 I believe with a FS 24 and he gets his top speed with his jack plate at 2.5 that’s 2 people and full tournament load. What’s the Stock FS 22 numbers look like. I talked to rick Murphy and he told me a great all around prop was the turbo fusion 4 21 pitch and will be 62 mph. 

If he is seeing 65 with a tourney load and 250 SHO id be surprised if his motor wasn't flashed. Rick has always had the fastest HPS out there. He tore his swim platform off (and some gelcoat) in order to shed weight. 

Brad, what gain did you see from having steve "correct" the prop? My new boat shows up next week and I want to get every single mph out of it and the go-to prop is a 23.5 bravo FS. 

Mine is power tech 22, i never get near those speeds. Max I see is 58mph at 5800 rpms. I must say the whole shot is great, and it runs square from planing to WOT. Not as fast as others with Merc prop, burt fine for me

I have tried the 19P PT

23p PT

and I bought a 22, but I was thinking the 20 could be just right

As this topic clearly shows there is no one Prop for a boat/ motor package, too many variables.  We make recommendations for an all around prop but leave this up to the dealer and the customer ti finalize.  If I has $1 for every prop question I answered for the past 30 years I could have retired years ago! 

Some want top end, some mid range,  some hole shot and some cruise. 1 Prop will not do all those well, all depends on what is most important to the owner.  

Skip

12 hours ago, Robert3 said:

Mine is power tech 22, i never get near those speeds. Max I see is 58mph at 5800 rpms. I must say the whole shot is great, and it runs square from planing to WOT. Not as fast as others with Merc prop, burt fine for me

I have tried the 19P PT

23p PT

and I bought a 22, but I was thinking the 20 could be just right

I have a power tech 23 3 blade and would run 60 to 61 light me and the dog.  I like everything about the fs 22, hole shot , cruise and top end.

• Like 1

What Skip said is true, but the 22p Bravo is dang close to checking all the boxes on the HPS. Robert3, the Bravo FS 22 out accelerates my PowerTech OFX/4 in 20p. 

BCPD - I have the fancy cooler seat and wouldn’t change it for anything. I have a wife and kid that like to hop the sandbars in the summer, so a secure and well padded seat is nice. I fish a lot in the winter and never take it out. With me and two other big boys, we have no issues getting around it. There is a ton more rom without it, but the cooler space is too valuable for me....and it’s a nice place to sit and re-tie. 

• Thanks 1