Minn Kota i-Pilot Terrova Install Questions

Big Dave

Just bought this new trolling motor from a friend.  I have a couple of quick questions.  First, the power cable is too short to reach the Battery Tender plug that is mounted on the forward bulkhead.  Do I just use more 10 gauge wire and heat shrink connectors to extend the power cable, or should I disassemble the unit, detach the factory power cable, and install a longer cable directly to the trolling motor?  Any issues doing that?

Second, the unit came with a Heading Sensor Assembly that looks like a white hockey puck.  It is supposed to provide boat heading information to a Bluetooth compatible i-Pilot or i-Pilot Link equipped Minn Kota motor.  It contains a compass that senses the boat's heading.  What are the advantages and disadvantages of using this?  What applications does it give me that the i-Pilot remote and Terrova i-Pilot trolling motor do not?

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Do I just use more 10 gauge wire and heat shrink connectors to extend the power cable, or should I disassemble the unit, detach the factory power cable, and install a longer cable directly to the trolling motor?  Any issues doing that?

Yes, they are sensitive to power drop.....it shouldn't be a big deal...havent' done it but it should be easy

I have mine in the middle of the poling tower, some place it on the console in the center of the boat....it' necessary for spot hold...it's not a big deal to install, you just need to run a 12 v power point to it.

dc

More specifically, the puck is neccesary for jogging the boat  in the correct direction when spot lock is engaged. When the puck is installed the orientation or the boat is known. So that when you tell it to jog left, right, forward, or back, it knows which direction that is relative to the boat orientation. 

Mine is mounted on a shelf in the console.

DINO:  would it be better to take off the factory power cord (not sure if there is access--is that area sealed) than to make a connection using more wire?

That's what I would do....

for better info...call Minnkotta or Bob @ inshore marine speciality

I looked on line for a diagram and can't find it easily.....on how it attaches exactly.

BTW, if you try to extend it....if they say it works...you need a special crimp......and then giant crimper.

dc