additional through hulls in a 25

RyanN

i purchased a 2019 2500 hybrid recently, seems weird to me that i only have 1 through hull . Im running (2) 1100 gph live well pumps and a washdown pump all off the same intake. i know this is how the boat was built my concern is on the last trip out i lost both a live well pump as well as a wash down pump. just wondering if its starving for water or if i have other issues going on.

Don’t think it’s the way the live wells are set up, many manufacturers have been and still run multiple pumps off one pick up. Not sure about the live well pump but the wash down pump is a diaphragm pump that usually can be run without water for a time without tearing itself up. Is the wash down pump tapped off the live well pump that burned up?

42 minutes ago, jason p said:

Don’t think it’s the way the live wells are set up, many manufacturers have been and still run multiple pumps off one pick up. Not sure about the live well pump but the wash down pump is a diaphragm pump that usually can be run without water for a time without tearing itself up. Is the wash down pump tapped off the live well pump that burned up?

Yes it is sir, I understand the wash down is a diaphragm what’s weird though is it will not gain prime until I shut off the live well pumps first 

Maybe they won't run at the same time, I don’t think I’ve ever tried to be honest. May be a question for Skip or call the MBC and talk to Steve Berry, see if he knows.  Do you leave your wash down pump switch on while you’re not using it? I leave mine on all day since it has a pressure switch and doesn’t run until the pressure drops. Maybe that will keep it primed. 

I have talked to Pentair in the past about my fish box pump when I was having problems and they’re pretty helpful, they also have a one year warranty so if your still in definitely give them a call. 

1 minute ago, jason p said:

Maybe they won't run at the same time, I don’t think I’ve ever tried to be honest. May be a question for Skip or call the MBC and talk to Steve Berry, see if he knows.  Do you leave your wash down pump switch on while you’re not using it? I leave mine on all day since it has a pressure switch and doesn’t run until the pressure drops. Maybe that will keep it primed. 

I have talked to Pentair in the past about my fish box pump when I was having problems and they’re pretty helpful, they also have a one year warranty so if your still in definitely give them a call. 

I do not, but I will say on my 2300 I had to turn off both live well and release well in order to prime the washdown and if all 3 were running I would loose prime quite a bit while using wash down. 

Funny thing about pentair is I’ve got 2 calls into warranty and I have not received a call back. I’ve been to the dealership, local, and big box store(west marine) asking for assistance and have struck out on all attempts. I’m border line re plumbing it, adding a 1 inch through hull, and going with a jabsco 5.0 gph pump. Unless I am calling the wrong department at pentair, I’m very displeased, and would not purchase a replacement.

7 minutes ago, Moderator said:

If you were not helped by the dealer, please call the Factory. 

Mod Marc

Thanks for helping, Jason !!

I definitely will, was just wondering if it was a common issue on the 2500 with the factory set up or if it’s worth the head ache of replumbing and punching holes 

thanks for your replies 

It seems simple to pull water to fill the livewells and washdowns..  But.. to keep drag to a minimum, keep turbulence away from the prop & transducer, and plumb multiple pumps is not simple.   Point is, the Factory can help you diagnose and correct your water supply.  Give them a shot before you go punching holes.

Marc

As Marc stated... don’t be knocking holes in the bottom of the running surface. A friend of mine restored an old Mako 261 and had the same idea and used a standard thru hull fitting like what you would use for a bilge pump discharge for instance. Anyway it caused a nasty vibration from turbulent water hitting the prop blades while on plane at all speeds. Since it went away when he removed it that was our very uneducated guess anyway. Luckily he’s a good glass guy. 

13 hours ago, RyanN said:

I definitely will, was just wondering if it was a common issue on the 2500 with the factory set up or if it’s worth the head ache of replumbing and punching holes 

thanks for your replies 

Two places you should always reconsider punching holes.  The roof of your home and the bottom of your boat.

As stated that's the way they are set up at the factory. My 23 has the same problems as you, the washdown would not prime or had minimal flow with the live-wells running. I did not want to shut off my live-well with a fresh batch on bait on board to be able to use the wash-down. So, I punched another water pick-up in the hull with a sea-cock. Now everything works at the same time.

4 hours ago, fishmanjj said:

Two places you should always reconsider punching holes.  The roof of your home and the bottom of your boat.

Good think I’m into roofing and waterproofing for work!!!! Check one of those places off the list, ha ha but I really was only thinking a new through hull for the wash down!

16 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

As stated that's the way they are set up at the factory. My 23 has the same problems as you, the washdown would not prime or had minimal flow with the live-wells running. I did not want to shut off my live-well with a fresh batch on bait on board to be able to use the wash-down. So, I punched another water pick-up in the hull with a sea-cock. Now everything works at the same time.

Where did you put it? I’m interested. 

Well... in my opinion... which isn't generally worth much, I think the inlet design could be improved. The 21 MA had a recessed cavity in the bottom of the hull with a flush mounted cheese grater that would allow the entire cavity to fill with water without having scoops or fittings protruding from the hull into the water. I always thought that was a great design, but maybe there's something I don't know because MBG went away from that with other models. 

So to reiterate what others have said. Both my 2013 and 2016 model 23 HPS' have had the issues with priming pumps. I only use one well about 99% of the time. So I keep the other valves closed and I have zero issues priming and running the one pump. It works as it should. However, if I open the valve to livewell #2 it will not prime up or run until I turn off livewell #1. Once I turn off #1 I can prime up #2 and it will run fine, then I turn #1 back on and both wells run without issue. A minor inconvenience, but something I can live with. 

Now... the washdown pump. If I want to use it at all I have to turn off both livewell pumps to get any sort of decent pressure. It's always been more hassle than it's worth, so I just stick to using the bucket for washing down the boat. 

I do believe if there were two thru-hull fittings it would eliminate most of these issues. Livewell #1 - It's own thru hull. Livewell #2 and Washdown - own thru hull. 

And last but not least, add a seachest (pump box) into the bilge. Single inlet into the seachest, one, two, or three outlets to your pumps. This is effectively building a waterproof box into the equation to effectively achieve the same scenario as what the 21 MA had designed into it's hull.  Capt Steve Betz here in Tampa Bay area started building these and sells them. You can make one yourself if you're handy and other companies sell them as well. https://www.skifflife.com/2995646/betz-boat-pump-boxes-for-the-win/

Josh B.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:56 AM, jason p said:

Where did you put it? I’m interested. 

Jason, the boat is on a lift so can't get a pic from the outside. But, If you look into the bilge, you'll  see a step behind the bilge-pump, where two other thru-hull drains are mounted. I drilled another hole on the starboard side about 18" over from the keel. I thought that area was good because it will not create turbulence for the outboard and it's close to where the wash-down pump is located. I use white Life Caulk on all the barbed to hose connections.