Cleaning Scuppers

Headhunter

Like most of you the scuppers on our 2014, 22 tournament, clog regularly. I had the boat out of the water for its annual maintenance. I used a pressure washer (both ways) on the scuppers and they were draining fine on the trailer. Once launched and recovered the port scupper would not drain.I was so frustrated I took the drian covers off and got a plumbers plunger and gave it a half a dozen good pumps. Water just poured out of the stern drain on the 6th pump. Did the other one too and it drains a lot better than before. Sometimes the old ways work better and we just over think this stuff. Just an FYI for all of you out there to give this a shot.

Tight lines!

One of the most efficient scupper systems  I have seen was on an old Renken boat that I owned.  The drain scupper combo was in the floor and used a ping pong ball like the raybuds. You could look in the grate and see the ball. If it had trash you unscrewed the grate cleaned it out put it back together. If the ball seemed stuck you could use a small stick or screwdriver and push on it. 

What made it better was that the water pushed the ball up 90 degrees to create a good seal and it was easily accessible. Have not seen any similar ones since.