Transom/splashwell alluminum angle cap replacement

Shallowminded6

Has anyone replaced the angle aluminum that goes on the top of the splash well/transom? Any ideas on what to use or replace it with? I am referencing the piece in the pic that has the paint flaked off and the corroded alluminum shows thru. It has gotten progressively worse and I am planing on replacing as it looks like it is past repainting. 

D96DC345-AC68-495C-BC6E-F4B0296E84C1.jpeg

The factory one wraps up the sides a little bit and is pretty thin. I live close to the factory, might ride down there and see what they say. Will let you know what I come up with. Hopefully the MHP brain trust has some suggestions. I have a little time as I am working on either replacing or rebuilding my engine currently.  

It's most likely powder coated aluminum... even the smallest of holes or scratches will allow saltwater under the powder coating and it will start to bubble and flake off. Only way to fix it properly is to completely remove it, sand blast it or media blast, etc. and then re-powder coat. If it were me... I would leave it on the boat, mask off all around it and sand it down to bare aluminum and polish it up, maybe add a clear coat. Must easier then completely removing it to replace.

Josh B.

• Like 1

I get what you mean. However mine is well past the point of recoating. Did the piece you picked up curve up the splashewell? I have not been able to pull the old one off due to some family issues I am currently dealing with. So I am unsure what it looks like under it which is why I am trying to replace it with the same piece. That way if the surface underneath the metal is sub par I dont open up a can of worms trying to fix that. 

22 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

So, the guy repairing my boat just picked one up from Lowes hardware.  perfect fit, exact replacement.

Well, just got word from my guy, not so easy.  Turns out that what initially looked like an exact replacement . . . isnt.   apparently the original angle piece is longer on one angle (vertical side when mounted) and shorter on the horizontal side.   We had to reuse my beaten up piece for now, 

I called MBC and they referred me T-N-T custom boatworks in Fort Pierce. That is who they used for the fabrication of their splashwell cap, platforms and other pieces. I had some stuff come up so my boat got moved to the back burner for now. But I am sure if you call them they can help you. I will post what I come up with when I get to work on my boat again.