Friction hinge for anchor locker

Bruce J

The one and only irritation I have with my 2016 Pathfinder 2400 is the anchor locker hinge.  The hatch only opens half way and constantly tries to fall closed. Seriously, it is very nearly a perfect boat, but for this one thing...

I think I read somewhere that the new ones have a friction hinge now for the anchor locker so that it will stay open. If so, is there any chance this will retrofit in my 2016 without having to do any reworking of the glass?  

BH, did you get the replacements from Gemlux? I just got off the line with them. The hole measurements on their drawings look like they are identical except for one measurement which is .01 inch different. The main other difference is that the barrel on the friction hinge is bigger and it might not fit in the existing space between the hatch and the deck. 

Just eyeballing it, it seems like it would be really close to fitting. Is yours not close at all?

• Like 1

I changed the rear hatches on my 2012 2200trs to friction. I did fill and drill but the hinges covered everything. My anchor locker has the spring that locks to fully extended when the hatch is open. It works so well I did not try to switch to friction on that hatch. If your boat does not have the locking spring type holder it could be a workable solution for you. 

4 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I changed the rear hatches on my 2012 2200trs to friction. I did fill and drill but the hinges covered everything. My anchor locker has the spring that locks to fully extended when the hatch is open. It works so well I did not try to switch to friction on that hatch. If your boat does not have the locking spring type holder it could be a workable solution for you. 

My anchor hatch has a spring that’s supposed to help hold the hatch open,  but if the anchor line touches it, the boat rocks, the wind breathes on it, or if I even look sideways at it, the spring fails and the hatch slams. I just wish I could open the hatch all the way and have it lay open, but it only opens into a vertical position. 

On 10/25/2019 at 2:37 PM, Bruce J said:

BH, did you get the replacements from Gemlux? I just got off the line with them. The hole measurements on their drawings look like they are identical except for one measurement which is .01 inch different. The main other difference is that the barrel on the friction hinge is bigger and it might not fit in the existing space between the hatch and the deck. 

Just eyeballing it, it seems like it would be really close to fitting. Is yours not close at all?

I did order directly from Gemlux.   maybe I didn't order the correct hinge?  The hols are off by about 1/3 an inch.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did the anchor locker, two corner rear lockers and rear livewell with fill and drill. Turned out about 85% pleased. Hinges hold fine but the barrels do stick up a bit and are not flush with the deck. It really only really bothers me in the anchor one but I am never bearfoot in the boat so not big deal for me. It is a little more annoying for my kids though.